Subject: Re: Requested use of this group for standards efforts

From: [email-masked] (BARRY M. SCHLESINGER)
Date: 19 Jul 1993 15:38 EDT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Monty Wiseman) writes...
>A group of backup\archive vendors has formed a committee to
>create an industry standard media format for backup\archival
>data.  Its name is the SIDF Committee and the name of the
>standard is SIDF (System Independent Data Format). This is a
>non-profit organization and it is intended to be an open
>standard. We will submit our final product to existing standards
>organizations (e.g., ANSI, ECMA, ISO, etc.) when we feel it is
>ready. I am the chairman of the Technical sub-Committee of this
>organization.
> 
>The committee has been meeting for a little under one year and
>have found that we need an electronic forum in which to exchange
>ideas. We are looking for two things from a News group: 1> A home
>and 2> a place to seek more industry\academic participation.
>Membership and participation is open to ANY organization!
> 
>After some research, I have found that this News group seems to
>be the most suited for the needs of this effort. I will propose
>that all postings regarding this effort contain the string "SIDF"
>in the subject field so those monitoring this group can "kill"
>the threads if desired. Also, those only interested in this
>effort can include only SIDF threads.
> 
>I will wait for a few days to get responses from this group
>before starting postings. Please contact me if you have any
>questions.
> 
>Monty Wiseman
>SIDF Technical Sub-Committee Chairman
>Novell, Inc.
>122 East 1700 South
>Provo, UT  84606
>801/429-3517
>[email-masked]

(Entire post included for benefit of sci.data.formats.)

Since this discussion is about data formats, I suggest that 
sci.data.formats is the appropriate group.

			Barry Schlesinger
			NSSDC/NOST FITS Support Office
			(affiliation for identification purposes only)