Subject: Re: IEEE32bit format help

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: 23 Jan 1995 20:06:28 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] writes:
|> Dear friend.
|> 
|> 	I am working in mechanical field . I have some file
|> in IEEE32 bit format . Can anyone told me where I can find those
|> standard manuals . I means in what CD file , journal , manuals .

I'm certain that you can get the official standard direct from IEEE, but
I doubt you really need to go that far.  Most workstations that I know of,
as well as lots of other machines, use IEEE as their native format.  Notable
exceptions are IBM mainframes (and clones), VAXen and older DEC machines,
and some "supercomputers."  If you use a native IEEE machine, then your
only concern is byte ordering (big- versus little-endian).  You can usually
tell if you've got the wrong byte order; especially if you have even a
vague idea of what sort of data you're looking at.  When you turn the bytes
around, you're likely get absolute garbage.

My advice:
Try reading each number in as a regular binary floating point value (I
assume you're talking about floating point) and writing it out with a
normal formatted write.  If the data looks completely useless, try reading
them in normally, exchanging the bytes so that they are in reverse order,
and writing them out with the same write statement you used before.

If neither of these methods works, then you are not using a native IEEE
machine and you'll have to find another way to get around this.  Maybe custom
conversion code.

What kind of machine are you using?  And by the way, where is ust.hk?

			-Doug Ilg