Subject: Re: What is the best neutral format for CFD data

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: 10 Jan 1995 16:20:11 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Wayne A. Christopher) writes:
|> I need to define an input data format for some CFD visualization
|> software, which should have all the usual good properties: flexible,
|> extensible, efficient, lots of conversion tools available, etc.
|> I need to be able to store both structured and unstructured result
|> data in this format, and it should be easy to write converters
|> from other formats whenever they don't already exist.  Some people
|> in sci.physics.computational.fluid-dynamics suggested either HDF
|> or netCDF, neither of which I know anything about.  Any opinions
|> or other ideas?  Thanks,

There is a package from NCSA called UIFlow which, as I recall, helps you
to set up CFD structures using HDF (through the BRICK library, also from
NCSA).  I don't know a lot about these tools, but you should be able to
get more information from Kim Stephenson ([email-masked]) or Ping Fu
([email-masked]).  The software should be available on NCSA's anonymous
ftp server ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu

After you have your results, PolyView (again, NCSA) is an excellent display
tool for Silicon Graphics' machines.  I think it would do nicely for CFD
results.

		-Doug Ilg