Subject: Re: Floating point binary portability

From: [email-masked] (Jeremy Beal)
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 1997 16:06:43 GMT

On Thu, 05 Jun 1997 21:27:33 GMT, [email-masked] (Jeremy
Beal) wrote:

>
>Does anybody know the location of the XDR source? I've been searching
>unsuccessfully on the net, plenty of mention of the RFC, but I can't
>locate the source.
>
>Jeremy Beal
>jbeal at nvmedia.com

XDR is actually a part of the Sun RPC mechanism which seems to be 
implemented on nearly all Unix systems. A port of Sun RPC for Windows
NT/95 can be found at http://set.gmd.de/~mfg/download.htm
There is a description page somewhere there too but I can't
get the URL off the top of my head. Some documentation is included
in the distribution.

---

From: [email-masked] (Jeremy Beal)
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 22:22:39 GMT

On Fri, 06 Jun 1997 16:06:43 GMT, [email-masked] (Jeremy

>get the URL off the top of my head. Some documentation is included

More followup:

A port of the Sun RPC (ONC RPC) for Windows NT and 95 exists at: 

http://set.gmd.de/~mfg/SRPC112.ZIP

Unfortunately, I'm having quite a bit of trouble trying to get a
small test program to execute under NT 3.51. I can get their
example program to run fine, but it isn't XDR oriented. When I try to
use the XDR routines directly, the program is able to create
the XDR stream, but generates an exception as the program tries to
filter the first value (an integer). The callback stack indicates that
the routine call goes through two levels in the oncrpc static library,
then the Microsoft Visual C Run Time library, then KERNEL32, then
dies at the second level of NTDLL.

I tried recompiling with only the XDR source parts of the library
included. It crashes in the same place. Debugging the code indicates
that everything runs fine until it needs to interpret a #define which
seems to map a pseudo-function call to a function which is part of the
XDR struct. It's starting to seem like it would be easier to write my
own damn routines to implement the XDR RFC than to keep wrestling with
undocumented code which doesn't seem to run correctly.

Has anybody ever seen any implementation of XDR on a PC which actually
works? How the hell does netCDF work if there isn't even an
implementation of XDR... I guess I'll start poring through the netCDF
source now.

Jeremy Beal
jbeal at nvmedia.com

---

From: [email-masked] (Jeremy Beal)
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 22:22:39 GMT

More followup:

Jeremy Beal
jbeal at nvmedia.com