CASA Tutorial in Santiago Jan. 26-27 2009
If you are interested, more scripts and data can be found at Scripts and Data.
- Mon. Jan. 26: 09:00-17:30
- Morning: CASA Overview and Capabilities, Interferometry Demo
- Afternoon: Interferometry Tutorial (BIMA NGC 4826)
- Tue. Jan. 27: 09:00-13:00
Download Instructions (Do ahead of time)
- We are using CASA version 2.3.1 for this tutorial. This
corresponds to CASA build 6826. It is essential that you get this
version which was released 1/21/09.
- The CASA linux tarball can be installed on most flavors of
linux. RedHat, Fedora, Ubuntu, Debian, and Suse almost always
work. Only Intel Mac installation is supported.
- Go to http://my.nrao.edu. If you
have not previously registered, do so, and login. Then proceed to
"CASA Beta Release tab" at top. Then click "download CASA" and fill
out form. This will allow us to contact you later when there are
updates etc. Then click "Accept".
- This will take you to the "Obtaining CASA during the Beta Test
Period" page. From here select either "ObtainingCASALinux" and follow
"non-root" from tarball installation instructions or
"ObtainingCASAMacIntel" and grab dmg. Follow respective
directions. Please do not attempt to install from source code or yum
unless you are an expert.
Get the scripts and data we will us for tutorials (Do ahead of time if possible)
- Copy the script and data for the BIMA NGC 4826 tutorial
- Copy the script and data for the VLA HI Demo/Usecase
- Copy the scripts and data for the single dish demo and tutorial
- For the brave and patient: an SMA data reduction example sma_reduction
- To retrieve a script, right-click on its link and select
'Save link as'
- For data, you sometimes have the choice between
downloading files individually or all combined in a
gzipped tarfile (your choice). To retrieve data,
left-click on its link which will open a window showing
the directory containing the data. Then right-click on
the data and use 'Save link as'. In case of a gzipped
tar file, use gunzip to unzip and tar -xvf
filename to retrieve the data files.
Getting started (Wait for tutorial)
- Start CASA by typing casapy-test
- To run a tutorial, use the execfile command, e.g. for
the VLA continuum tutorial, type:
execfile('ngc5921_usecase.py') after the CASA prompt.
- Initially, participants may want to run the whole tutorial.
After that, we recommend going through the tutorial in order,
task by task, e.g. by cutting and pasting sections of the script
into the CASA command interpreter, and by experimenting with a
variety of parameter settings
- To exit CASA, type exit, quit, or
Help and Other Information
CASA Patch 3 cookbook
NRAO 11th Synthesis Imaging Workshop
NAASC ALMA User Software Demos from Longbeach AAS
Please send any comments or questions about CASA
Copyright © 1995-2007 Associated Universities Inc.,
This code is available
under the terms of the GNU General Public License
Monday, 06-Oct-2008 16:25:22 MDT