ADASS 2002 Trip Report
- DM for the LSST: 3
Gpixel camera (!), huge data rates. IDE disks
(not tapes). Petabyte $100k in 5 years (2000 disks). Hardware,
Storage resources scale fine; algorithms, data-management are
- Microlensing Surveys: (MACHO)... serendipity. Tried to let others
into their DB, failed. Make data portable, let it be
- Raptor/LLNL: "I don't recommend over-specified projects"
(!) minimalistic, but produced results.
- DM for the VO: CADC: Jini (service discovery). 1800 astronomical
quantities... rationalize these. Hide engineering terminology via
- NRAO E2E (Tim): Spiral development, mixed results. Involving
scientists is hard! (Talk went over well)
- HDX Data Model: supplements FITS, VOTable.