Directories & LDAP: the NRAO Connection
Proposed Testbed Deployment: Phone Book
- We're already using a poor man's "directory":
- The Phonebook
is used to generate mailing lists, web page links, dialin modem
authentication (800 and CV), and web server redirects
automatically, right now.
- In principle, this info could be used for mail aliases, then
(later) login records for Unix and NT.
- Existing Phone Directory flat-text-and-Fortran-programs not
strong enough; need a real LDAP directory/server.
- Long term goal: Personnel, Fiscal, Payroll, Purchasing?
- Ideal: one directory. Realistic: fewer than we have now!
- AVOID TURF WARS! Any group that plans a directory deployment HAS to
have top-level buy-in from all affected groups in the Observatory,
and enough funding to do the job.