Multiple X Servers
Why do I need more than one X Server?
Maybe you don't. Some possible reasons:
- One server at 8 bits, one at 24 bits.
- Checking an alternative window manager.
- Sharing a system with a visitor (or a relative at home!)
How to Start a Second X Server
This can be tricky. Generally this works:
- Log in as usual at the
xdm screen (NRAO or RedHat
- Switch to another virtual console, e.g.,
- Log in at the text screen (need not be same account as in step 1).
- Type one of the following. All will start a second X server and
session on virtual console 8:
startx -- :1
startx -- :1 -bpp 24
startx -- :1 -bpp 8
FVWM Problem: If using fvwm and m4, a
bug in the m4 processing causes both instances of the window manager
to want to use
/tmp/fvwmrcXXXXX (literally). Fixed in