Subject: Re: FITS image display on a PC?

From: [email-masked] (Robert Mutel)
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1993 20:50:19 GMT

We use the commercial program Imagine-32 by Compuscope. It has several
levels, but the 'standard' version lists at $299. It is a *very*
sophisticated  image display/analysis package which runs on 386/486
PC's with sufficient memory (8MB+).  It can read/write sveral formats
including FITS, GIF, and IMG/IMQ /IBG (NASA CD-ROMs). Phil Lubin runs
Compuscope [with others] - he is a real astonomer at UCSB who
understands image processing in astronomical contexts. A demo version
of the program can be downloaded from their BBS  (805-682-8152). I
personally prefer Imagine-32 to either IRAF or AIPS for image
processing.

Another excellent program is Mike Newberry's MIRA.
I have only only tried a demo of it, but it appears to be at least as competent.

Robert Mutel
Department of Physics and Astronomy
University of Iowa
Iowa City IA 52242

Telephone: 319-335-1950      FAX: 319-335-1753
Email: [email-masked]  (internet) 
       iowa::rlm (span)