Subject: Re: IMAGE ANALYSIS SOFTWARE - SHORT LIST

From: [email-masked] (Archie Warnock)
Date: Sat, 29 Feb 1992 00:08:00 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] () writes...
>--------------------------------------------------------------------
>2. IMDISP
>Written at JPL and other NASA sites. It is available by FTP from
>ames.arc.nasa.gov (128.102.18.3) in directory /pub/SPACE/SOFTWARE. Use it for
>simple display, enhancing, smoothing and so on. It is designed for FITS and
>VICAR/PDS images (the latter being NASA's planetary image format - try it out

PDS and VICAR are actually two formats.

>on images from the same site in the pub/SPACE/VICAR directory).  It will also
>display TIFF files from any scanner, as long as you know the size of the image
>(lines and samples).

Only uncompressed TIFF because they're apparently raw raster files
(though I hadn't thought about the format, so it's support is purely
unintentional).  IMDISP also reads/writes GIF. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-- Archie Warnock                     Internet:  [email-masked]
-- Hughes STX                         SPAN:      NSSDC::WARNOCK
-- NASA/GSFC                          "Hail To The Redskins!"

---

From: [email-masked] (Archie Warnock)
Date: Sat, 29 Feb 1992 18:32:00 GMT

[email-masked] (Robert F. Cahalan) points out to me that 
it's unlikely that IMDISP actually supports any flavor of TIFF.  I 
suspect that the actual listing should have said GIF instead of TIFF all 
along.