Subject: Re: astro gifs

From: [email-masked] (Ryan Korniloff)
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 92 04:04:55 GMT

>Path: mnemosyne.cs.du.edu!uunet!gatech!darwin.sura.net!spool.mu.edu!hri.com!ukma!netnews.louisville.edu!ulkyvx.louisville.edu!jsmill01
>From: [email-masked]
>Newsgroups: sci.astro
>Subject: Re: astro gifs
>Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
>Date: 29 Dec 92 21:03:38 GMT
>References: <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
>Sender: [email-masked] (Netnews)
>Organization: University of Louisville
>Lines: 28
>Nntp-Posting-Host: ulkyvx02.louisville.edu
>
>In article <[email-masked]>,  (Carl Soderland) writes:
>> In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Chris Marriott) writes:
>>> 
>>> > i would like to know whether there is an anonymous ftp site for astro gifs.
>>> > can anybody help?
>>> 
>>> Try "ames.arc.nasa.gov".  Look in directory "/pub/SPACE/GIFS".
>>> 
>> 
>> The node mentioned contains alot of GIF formatted files, but how do I look at
>> one of these.  Can anyone provide a source for the necessary imaging software?
>> 
>> Thanks for your help.
>==============================================================================
>You don't mention a machine to run it on, but a good program is 
>available in the same archive.  Ron Baalke's program is in 
>pub/SPACE/SOFTWARE or pub/SPACE/PROGRAMS (I haven't been in there in a 
>while to look, and am not sure if the particular directories are all 
>caps, all small or mixed case). It's called Imdisp**, where the *'s 
>indicate latest version.  I've used it on my 8086 to decent viewing, 
>and all I've got is EGA.  On a 386 or 486 with VGA it's bound to be 
>much better.
>
>Regards
>
>Scott Miller, Program Coordinator
>Rauch Memorial Planetarium
>University of Louisville

Yes, the directory the software is in is /pub/SPACE/SOFTWARE. The Imdisp
(Image Display) program supplied is for the MSDOS based systems.
The lastest version is "imdisp79.zip" You will need the pkunzip program to
decompress it, which I beleieve is on the same directory.
Once you are done installing the program, put the GIF images in the same
directory until you learn how to use the promgram (a quick-start method),
the program can be a little confusing to use sometimes. Then, when you want
to view a GIF type in the commands "file 'gif image'" <return> Then type
the command "display" or "dis" for short. This will display the image on
the screen. To do more complicated image monipulation, you will have to
read, most preferably print, the documentation file. It's a really nice
program after you figure out what to do.

        -- Ryan Korniloff
        -- [email-masked]