Subject: Re: *Microcomputer Image Processing System

From: [email-masked] (philip hodder)
Date: 9 Nov 1993 20:47:50 GMT

In article [email-masked], [email-masked] (Martin Connors) writes:
> In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (  
> Frank ROUSSEL ) writes:
> > A demo version of the Microcomputer Image Processing System (MiPS) is
> > available at ftp.univ-rennes1.fr:/pub/Images/ASTRO/mips  
> (IP=129.20.128.34)
> > 
> Thanks for letting us know. Could you followup with a description of what  
> this does, what data formats it supports, etc.
> 
> --
> Martin Connors         |
> Space Research         | [email-masked]  (403) 492-2526
> University of Alberta  |

Well I downloaded the demo and had a look at it. Basically you get a slide show
with text annotations. These are in French - my French ability being what it
is I could make out about 1 word in 4! but I think I could get the gist of what 
they were saying. It looks like a pretty good general pupose astronomical
image processing system. Seems to support FITS and maybe the ST-* formats (as 
well as GIF, PCX, BMP?). Lots of features including mapping transformations, photometry, astrometry etc. It would be nice to know if there is a manual in 
English for it! :-)

Anyone else got better information - or better yet, has anyone actually got it?

		Phil.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Philip J. C. Hodder                      INTERNET: [email-masked]
  Dept. of Geophysics & Astronomy          PHONE:    (604) 822-6722 
  #129-2219 Main Mall                      FAX:      (604) 822-6047
  University of British Columbia          
  Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada         
  V6T 1Z4                                  
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I'm about 100 yards off the green ... think I'll take a 5 Weasel!"
                                                               - Larry Sanders
------------------------------------------------------------------------------