Subject: Re: Microcomputer image processing survey

From: [email-masked] (Mike Newberry)
Date: 2 Dec 92 23:05:26 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] writes:
>
>Even though it is standard to use packages like IRAF or VISTA for 
>astronomical image processing, some of us have to make do with less
>expensive hardware. Fortunately, there are some image processing
>programs which allow quantitative work using Mac and PC microcomputers.
>
>For example, we use three different microcomputer image processing 
>programs in connection with astronomy classes and projects:
>
>IMDISP (PC)	project work using NASA cd-rom images
>PCVISTA (PC)	project work using ccd images
>NIH Image (Mac)	introductory astronomy course lab
>
>I am curious how others are using PCs and/or Macs to do quantitative
>work on astronomical images. I'm sure there is a great deal of experience
>out there which others could tap.
>
>If you fit into this category, please contact me by e-mail
>([email-masked] or [email-masked]). Let me know what
>computer/programs you use and a brief synopsis of what you do with them.
>If there is a sufficient response, I will distribute a summary
>or post it here. 
>
>		Thanks
>		Tom Lockhart

Why have you not mentioned MIRA?  MIRA brings IRAF level power to a 386 or
486 using "commodity" video hardware and runs faster on a 486 than IRAF
on a Sun Sparcstation?  Haven't you seen the ads in Sky & Telescope or
NASA Tech Briefs? MIRA easily has the best interface, speed, and power
of all of the PC and Mac programs.