Subject: FITSIO V3.3 is available

From: [email-masked] (William Pence)
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1992 22:47:58 GMT

FITSIO - Version 3.3
                           29 October 1992

This is to announce that Version 3.3 of the FITSIO package is now
available from the HEASARC.  FITSIO is a powerful yet simple to use
Fortran subroutine interface for reading and writing files in FITS
format.

This 3.3 version of FITSIO is completely compatible with the previous
version and contains the following new features:

  - Added a major new port to run FITSIO within the IRAF environment.  A set  
    of SPP-callable interface routines is also provided.

  - Added a new port to run on Macintosh computers with Absoft's MacFortran II.

  - The maximumn allowed number of open FITS files has been doubled
    from the previous 6 files to 12 files.

  - Added further checks to permit only printable ASCII characters to be
    written to a FITS header.

  - Made 7 other small enhancements and fixed 5 minor bugs.

For further details on these new features, see the 'release.doc' file
in the FITSIO distribution directory.

Programmers interested in using the new IRAF/SPP version of FITSIO should
note that the HEASARC plans the first release of its FTOOLS software
utility package next week.  This will contain a complete example of how 
to build and use the FITSIO library within IRAF.

The FITSIO software, documentation, and example programs are available via
anonymous ftp from:

       ftp tetra.gsfc.nasa.gov   (128.183.8.77)

Then type the following:

        ftp>  user anonymous
        Password:               [type your username as a password]
        ftp>  cd pub/fitsio3    [to move to the version 3 subdirectory]
        ftp>  ls                [to see a list of the available files]
        ftp>  get read.me       [contains latest information about FITSIO]
        ftp>  get fitsio.doc    [complete user documentation]
        ftp>  get fitsio.ps     [Postscript version of the documentation]
        ftp>  get ...           [get any additional desired files]
        ftp>  quit

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr. William Pence      
USRA/HEASARC  (High Energy Astrophysics Science Archive Research Center)
Code 668                         
NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center        SPAN:      LHEAVX::PENCE
Greenbelt, MD 20771                     Internet:  [email-masked]
                                        Telephone:  (301)286-4599