Subject: Re: Mac and FITS

From: Carl A. Dobson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 93 10:53:16 PDT

> May I put your message in the Mac directory on fits.cv.nrao.edu?
> 
> -Don

	Sure, but please also include your reply!

	-Carl

---

From: Carl A. Dobson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 93 11:23:06 PDT

> DONE. Your remarks are relevant to the Mac, but the discussion is one
> of the few mentions of handedness in the archive.  Are any of the Mac
> packages in the public domain, and do you recommend them? -Don

	The NIH Image program is a decent program for displaying files
and making small changes, however, the latest versions available on the
net do not appear to have the FITS reader.  I haven't contacted SAO, but
since they supplied version 1.23 with a FITS reader a while back, perhaps
they're doing the same with later versions.

	MAIA is an acronym for Macintosh Astronomical Image Analysis and
appears to be an attempt at a VISTA clone.  It is a shareware package written
by an MIT student.  My recollection is that it is available on
sumex.stanford.com for anonymous ftp.

-Carl