Subject: Microcomputer image processing survey

From: [email-masked]
Date: 2 Dec 92 14:59:53 GMT

Even though it is standard to use packages like IRAF or VISTA for 
astronomical image processing, some of us have to make do with less
expensive hardware. Fortunately, there are some image processing
programs which allow quantitative work using Mac and PC microcomputers.

For example, we use three different microcomputer image processing 
programs in connection with astronomy classes and projects:

IMDISP (PC)	project work using NASA cd-rom images
PCVISTA (PC)	project work using ccd images
NIH Image (Mac)	introductory astronomy course lab

I am curious how others are using PCs and/or Macs to do quantitative
work on astronomical images. I'm sure there is a great deal of experience
out there which others could tap.

If you fit into this category, please contact me by e-mail
([email-masked] or [email-masked]). Let me know what
computer/programs you use and a brief synopsis of what you do with them.
If there is a sufficient response, I will distribute a summary
or post it here. 

		Thanks
		Tom Lockhart