Subject: Re: FITS viewer for Mac?

From: Greg F Walz Chojnacki <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 1994 08:58:44 -0600 (CST)

Don,

HEre's an interim report on FITS viewers for the Mac.

My attempts to use Maia (from SUMEX) proved a comedy of errors. It wouldn't 
run on my LC475 because it doesn't have an FPU (math co-processor?). It 
wouldn't run on a colleague's Mac IIcx, whichdoesn't have 16-bit color. It
wouldn't run on another colleague's Centris 610, though I can't recall why.
(I think it was another non-FPU error). I finally got it to run on a IIci, 
but had trouble doing what I need to do (namely, combine the three b/w frames 
in the FITS I have into a single color frame) on that machine's b/w monitor. 

I also tried the non-FPU version of NIH-Image (from zippy.nimh.nih.gov). 
That's rather counter-intuitive (having to load macros to load FITS, e.g.) 
but I think I could learn to like it. The problem THERE is it won't load a 
32-bit image. Again, my immediate concern is this three-frame image, which 
is 32-bit.

So, it's been a rather tantalizing but so far frustrating experience.

Thanks for your assistance.

Greg