Subject: Re: FITS?
From: [email-masked] (Allen Wasserman)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 92 15:51:59 -0800

Hello Don Wells

I have found several Mac display applications.

MacVista (Sumex/info-mac/app) will display FITS as its standard 
and can save the file as PICT.

Image 1.47 (zippy.nimh.nih.gov) has a macro to display 16 bit FITS.
and can save the file as PICT or TIFF

JPEGView (MAC.ARCHIVE.UMICH.EDU) will display JPEG 
and PICT and convert either way.

GIFConvert 2.3b2 (MAC.ARCHIVE.UMICH.EDU) will convert 
between PICT, TIFF, JPEG, GIF and EPS (but not FITS)

Giffer v 1.1.2b1 (I don't recall where I plucked that from) will display 
GIF and TIFF. 

However, the GIF and JPEG files obtained by anonymous FTP 
from ames.arc.nasa.gov will not display on JPEGView, Giffer or
GIFConvert.  Yet GIF and JPEG obtained by conversion through 
PICT, display normally on JPEGView, GIFConvert and Giffer.  

Do you understand why?

Thanks for the tip on NIH Image.  It's a good one!

Allen