Subject: Re: how do I convert VAX floats to IEEE

From: [email-masked] (Cesar Velarde)
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1993 14:50:22 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] writes:
>Help,
>I need to convert a lot of files created on a VAX 3500 running VMS to be used on my sun's.
>The ints are no problem to do the byte swaps, but the float format is confusing.  On the ULTRIX machines they give you a  "ftoi" command to do the job.
>
>Thanks in advance for the assistance.

One of Sun's unbundled compilers (Fortran or C, I can't remember) offered both
Fortran and C bindings to a general purpose conversion routine/function named
CONVERT_EXTERNAL() (in fortran).

I used it extensively to convert from VAX float's to IEEE (both single and
double), and it worked fine for me.

I do not know if it is still included in Sun's compilers, maybe Sun can help
you with this.

Alternatively, somebody with access to those compilers may scan the libraries
in search for that symbol.

I hope this helps.

-- 
[email-masked]			Canada centre for remote sensing
Tel. (613)947-1301			588 Booth St., Ottawa, ON
Fax. (613)947-1408			K1A 0Y7