Subject: Re: JPEG to Gif converter for windows

From: [email-masked] (Tim Lesher)
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 1994 06:42:11 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (A.Raverboy) writes:

   In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Frank Pilhofer) writes:

>   >  I've got such a program at home that loads jpeg and will even save them
>   > as gif. But hey, why do you want to do it? Converting to gif will blow
>   > up the files by factor 2 or more.
>   >  Since I'm typing this post not at home, I just don't remember the name
>   > of the program, but I'll post it next time. Be patient.
>
>	   Does it hell. Converting a JPG to a GIF will probably
>	   either save or add a couple of bytes to the file size.

Before we start Yet Another Gif/JPEG flamewar, remember:  GIF is a FIXED 
compression method, meaning that you always get the same compression 
ratio for a given file.  Because it's lossy, JPEG lets you decide how much
you want to crunch the data down, so it's possible to take a GIF-format
image and crunch it with JPEG in such a manner that you can get a file 
that's significantly bigger than the GIF, or MUCH smaller.  It all 
depends on how tightly the JPEG file is compresses.

Also remember that JPEG is a 24-bit algorithm, while GIF is 8-bit. Depending
on your point of view, sometimes you do want an 8-bit image to better
go along with whatever 8-bit hardware you're showing it on.

(By the way, crossposting a request like this to all the above groups
DOESN'T significantly increase your chances of getting a response--it just
increases the traffic. Note the followup-to.)

Tim

---

From: [email-masked] (Christopher Mansfield)
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 1994 08:22:50 GMT

Sean 'Guardian' Costain ([email-masked]) wrote:
: In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Francisco Javier Femenia) writes:
: >
: >In article <[email-masked]>,
: >Maverick <[email-masked]> wrote:
: >>	Does anyone have a shareware or freeware version of djpeg (or similar)
: >>for windows?  Does such a program exist and if so can you mail me or post it
: >>here.
: >>
: >>Please email
: >>
: >>Thanks,
: >>	Ritu
: >>	[email-masked]
: >
: >Same for me, please.
: >Thanks.
: >-- 
: >F. Javier Femenia		"I've never even had any real friends."
: >[email-masked]		"Hnurmph."
: >FDC Stroll-around Rajah hopeful	"Except you, Rajah."  _Aladdin_

: Count me in

: Angelhawk

There is a Windows 3.x program called "Paint Shop Pro" that is incredible.
It supports 23 of the most popular formats including JPEG, GIF, PCX, BMP,
TIFF, etc.  It can convert any file type to any other file type.  You can
also crop, rotate, dither, adjust brightness and contrast, and anything
else you could possibly think of.  You can view several images at once in
different windows (depending on how much memory you have and how large
your swap file is).

You can get "Paint Shop Pro" (and "Graphic Workshop" for Windows which
does a lot of the same stuff) from "The Software Labs," a mail/phone order
shareware catalog.  Their phone number is 1-800-569-7900.  Call and have a
catalog mailed to you.

Enjoy!

--
|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
| Chris Mansfield              |   "We've upped our standards.        |
|                              |             Up yours."               |
|  [email-masked]  |                    -Comedy Central   |
|                              |                                      |
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~