Subject: ImageMagick 3.0 -- Official Release

From: [email-masked] (Cristy)
Date: Mon, 16 May 1994 01:41:02 GMT

Version 3.0 of ImageMagick is now available.  This is the official release.
Releases previous to May 15 are considered beta and should be updated.
Version 3.0 is a major release.  There are numerous improvements and bug
fixes.

ImageMagick is an X11 package for display and interactive manipulation
of images.  The package includes tools for image conversion,
annotation, compositing, animation, and creating montages.  ImageMagick
can read and write many of the more popular image formats (e.g. JPEG,
TIFF, PNM, etc.).  ImageMagick is available via anonymous FTP as
ftp.x.org:contrib/applications/ImageMagick/ImageMagick-3.0.tar.gz.

display
     Display is a machine architecture independent image and display
     program.  It can display an image on any workstation display
     running an X server.  Display can read and write many of the more
     popular image formats (e.g. JPEG, TIFF, PNM, etc.).  You can
     perform these functions on the image:

	 o display information about the image
         o write the image to a file
         o print the image to a Postscript printer
         o delete the image file
         o load an image from a file
         o display the next image
         o display the former image
         o undo last image transformation
         o restore the image to its original size
         o half the image size
         o double the image size
         o resize the image
         o trim the image edges
         o clip the image
         o cut the image
         o flop image in the horizontal direction
         o flip image in the vertical direction
         o rotate the image 90 degrees clockwise
         o rotate the image 90 degrees counter-clockwise
         o rotate the image
         o shear the image
         o invert the colors of the image
         o perform histogram equalization on the image
         o perform histogram normalization on the image
         o gamma correct the image
         o detect edges within the image
         o convert the image to grayscale
         o set the maximum number of unique colors in the image
         o annotate the image with text
         o add a border to the image
         o composite image with another
         o edit an image pixel color
         o edit the image matte information
         o add an image comment
         o display information about this program
         o discard all images and exit program
         o change the level of magnification

import
     Import reads an image from any visible window on an X server and
     outputs it as an image file.  You can capture a single window, the
     entire screen, or any rectangular portion of the screen.  You can
     use display (see display(1)) utility for redisplay, printing,
     editing, formatting, archiving, image processing, etc.  of the
     captured image.

     The target window can be specified by id, name, or may be selected
     by clicking the mouse in the desired window.  If you press a
     button and then drag, a rectangle will form which expands and
     contracts as the mouse moves.  To save the portion of the screen
     defined by the rectangle, just release the button.  The keyboard
     bell is rung once at the beginning of the screen capture and twice
     when it completes.

animate
     Animate displays a sequence of images on any workstation display
     running an X server.  Animate first determines the hardware
     capabilities of the workstation.  If the number of unique colors
     in an image is less than or equal to the number the workstation
     can support, the image is displayed in an X window.  Otherwise the
     number of colors in the image is first reduced to match the color
     resolution of the workstation before it is displayed.

     This means that a continuous-tone 24 bits/pixel image can display
     on a 8 bit pseudo-color device or monochrome device.  In most
     instances the reduced color image closely resembles the original.
     Alternatively, a monochrome or pseudo-color image sequence can
     display on a continuous-tone 24 bits/pixels device.

montage
     Montage creates a composite image by combining several separate
     images.  The images are tiled on the composite image with the name
     of the image optionally appearing just below the individual tile.

mogrify
     Mogrify transforms an image or a sequence of images.  These
     transforms include image scaling, image rotation, color reduction,
     and others.  The transmogrified image overwrites the original
     image.

convert
     Convert converts an input file using one image format to an output
     file with a differing image format. By default, the image format
     is determined by it's magic number. To specify a particular image
     format, precede the filename with an image format name and a colon
     (i.e.  ps:image) or specify the image type as the filename suffix
     (i.e. image.ps).  Specify file as - for standard input or output.
     If file has the extension .Z, the file is decoded with uncompress.

combine
     Combine combines images to create new images.

segment
     Segment segments an image by analyzing the histograms of the color
     components and identifying units that are homogeneous with the
     fuzzy c-means technique.  The scale-space filter analyzes the
     histograms of the three color components of the image and
     identifies a set of classes.  The extents of each class is used to
     coarsely segment the image with thresholding.  The color
     associated with each class is determined by the mean color of all
     pixels within the extents of a particular class.  Finally, any
     unclassified pixels are assigned to the closest class with the
     fuzzy c- means technique.

XTP  Xtp is a utility for retrieving, listing, or printing
     files from a remote network site, or sending files to a remote
     network site.  Xtp performs most of the same functions as the ftp
     program, but does not require any interactive commands.  You
     simply specify the file transfer task on the command line and xtp
     performs the task automatically.
-- 

[email-masked]