Subject: Re: truly lossless conversion

From: [email-masked] (Allen Maroney)
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 94 14:51:07 -0500

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] writes:
>Dear Folks,
> 
>Is there a 100% lossless format from whcih I can convert images to binary?
> 
>Many thnaks
> 
>Bob Schwartz

   A far as I know, almost all formats are lossless (TIFF, GIF, BMP, etc) as long
  as the file fits within the format's specs.  If, for instance, a format has a 
  maximum of 8 bit color don't expect to cram a 24 bit image into it without
  loosing something.  Personally, I prefer TIFF as a 'one format fits all' for
  lossless storage.  All of the compression that I have seen for TIFF such as 
  packbits and LZH are lossless but that does not prevent a lossy TAG from
  creeping in, if it hasn't already. 

  JPEG is the popular exception to the rule, although I'm sure that there are
  others.  Varying amounts of data will be lost for the sake of image size.

-- 

Allen Maroney   Internet: [email-masked]
                   UUNet: ...palan!deep6!amaroney
                   GEnie: A.Maroney