Subject: Extermination of vermin

From: dwells (Don Wells)
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 94 14:55:41 EST

Bob, Hans-Martin,

After editing the WAIS section, I still find redundant resources in
the category listings. This is because we have old gopher URLs that
did searches of files or else talked to WAIS servers. Also, I think
some remote login URLs are simply search services which now also have
WAIS servers.

I propose to remove redundant gopher-search URLs from the database.  I
also propose to remove redundant remote login search-service URLs
unless they have some value-added that is not contained in associated
WAIS/HTTP servers.

More generally, we have gopher and FTP URLs for organizations that
also now have HTTP URLs.

I propose that such resources be deleted unless they have some value
which is not present in associated HTTP servers. If there is value,
then I propose that references to those gopher/file URLs be embedded
in the <DD>..</DD> sections for the HTTP servers.

-Don