Subject: Status Report

From: dwells (Don Wells)
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 94 17:22:35 EST

Bob, Hans-Martin,

About an hour ago I did a 'make install' to change the version of
http://fits.cv.nrao.edu/www/astronomy.html that the end-users are
seeing. The page http://fits.cv.nrao.edu/www/yp_master.html is the
merged list of this release in canonical format.

An interesting new feature of this release is the merging of resource
records. An example is the record(s) for EUVE in my 'Space
Observatories' category. The input file contains two records for EUVE,
with the same URL but different text. One of them is now appended to
the other one, indented and with a note saying 'The following resource
is similar (same URL, different text):'. Obviously I intend to edit my
merged file to combine the duplicated information into one resource
record.

The syntactic checker program 'dtcheck'
(file://fits.cv.nrao.edu/fits/www/astroweb/dtcheck) is working rather
well now. I invoke it in my Makefile, and it has already found some
typos.

I have started building another program called 'dtdiff'. It is going
to compare two <DT> files and generate a page of differences between
the two sets of resource records. I expect that I will be able to use
the output as an automatic 'What's New' page, and it will also be a
useful tool when maintaining the resource database.

I made many changes to program 'dtsplit' to make it more easily
configurable. My assumption is that others may want to use it, and
that they may want to have a very different arrangement of their
categories and pages. For example, the ST-ECF, STScI and NRAO pages
have three different arrangements. I am now very near to the point
that dtsplit could generate any of the three styles. Currently the
configuration information appears in the BEGIN{} section of the AWK
program file://fits.cv.nrao.edu/fits/www/astroweb/dtsplit (dtsplit is
still being modified, and has various things commented-out). It is
possible to have special header text for any output page (I am using
this feature for several of my pages -- see the text at the top of my
"Astronomy Text-Searching Servers" page.) It is also possible to
append special text to all of the output pages, and I am using this
feature to add the <ADDRESS> lines at the bottom.

At the moment my pages do not say anything about what is happening
with all of our discussions and development efforts, but I will
probably put some indication into my home page soon. I have two things
in mind: (1) users should be told to send additions and change reports
to [email-masked] (so both of you will see them) and (2) my
pages need to acknowledge the fact that they now contain resource
records from the ST-ECF pages. I have added only part of the ST-ECF
resources, and I have not yet fully configured the categories to
support the ones I have installed, but some of Hans-Martin's records
are definitely present in the output (e.g., the EUVE case mentioned
above). I expect to have all of the ST-ECF resources integrated within
about a week, and also to catch up with my backlog of new items and
change orders.

-Don

---

From: dwells (Don Wells)
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 94 14:53:49 EST

Hans-Martin Adorf writes:
 > 1. I integrated my backlog of URLs into my astro-resources.html page
 > 2. I changed from <LI> to <DT> syntax (without <DD>s) as a step towards
 > conformity. Hope that helps you to get hold of my URL's.

I will fetch your file. Is it visible via anonFTP as well as URL? 

 > 3, I WAIS indexed all our .html pages. Hoewever I ran into a problem..

I don't understand your description of the problem. My pages are being
indexed, but I have not really tested that. I need to.

 > .. auto-crossreferencer.. went through .. > text files looking
    for.. headers. When.. found.. match.. inserted.. > link...

Does such a thing exist? Are you thinking of using it on <DT> files?

 > .. thumb index.. find.. .html pages.. two indices, one simply with A, B,
 > C entries..

What would the second index contain?

-Don

---

From: dwells (Don Wells)
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 94 00:52:21 EST

Hans-Martin Adorf writes:
 > > > 2. I changed from <LI> to <DT> syntax..
 > ftp://ecf.hq.eso.org/pub/WWW/astro-resources.html

Thank you for the work you did.  I FTPed your file. I used Emacs
keyboard macros to transform it into canonical form. I inserted
CATEGORY lines with code 'stecf'. I then modified my Makefile to cat
my file with your file and feed the result to program dtsort. I
configured dtsplit to put code 'stecf' in the 'Misc' page
(http://fits.cv.nrao.edu/www/astroweb/yp_misc.html) as a temporary
expedient. Within a day or two I will be able to substitute your codes
for 'stecf', and produce a completely merged list, with probably 200+
records. Program dtsort is doing exactly what I intended: it makes it
possible to merge these lists by trivial means (only a 'cat'). I
append the output from the 'make'. The combined file is 55 KB. -Don

cd /fits/dwells/ftp/fits/www/astroweb/
make -k 
touch temp_tail.html
/home/fits/dwells/bin/getdate.awk temp_tail.html > temp_tail.html;
cat merged.html master-hma2.html | dtsort -v tail=temp_tail.html >yp_master.html
dtsort executed by dwells on fits.cv at Wed Feb 16 00:35:24 EST 1994
 305 resource records read.
 179 passes needed by bubble sort.
   0 identical resource records deleted. (n=305)
  41   similar resource records  merged. (n=264)
 167 resource records edited:
	   4 cases of |</b>|
	 157 cases of |<a |
	   4 cases of |<b>|
	 165 cases of | href=|
	   1 cases of |<br>|
	   8 cases of |</a>|
   2 lines copied from temp_tail.html.
 264 resource records written.
dtcheck <yp_master.html
 267 blocks checked,    0 match failures.
ls -lg merged.html yp_master.html
-rw-r--r--  1 dwells   aipspgmr    29928 Feb 15 21:31 merged.html
-rw-r--r--  1 dwells   aipspgmr    54673 Feb 16 00:36 yp_master.html
dtsplit <yp_master.html
 264 resource records from input
   7 records >> temp_radio.html
   8 records >> temp_optical.html
   3 records >> temp_center.html
   4 records >> temp_space.html
   3 records >> temp_infosys.html
   2 records >> temp_agency.html
   2 records >> temp_dept.html
   2 records >> temp_society.html
   1 records >> temp_survey.html
  18 records >> temp_text_search.html
  10 records >> temp_newsgroup.html
  16 records >> temp_software.html
   1 records >> temp_document_tools.html
  14 records >> temp_preprint.html
   5 records >> temp_abstracts.html
   5 records >> temp_full_text.html
   4 records >> temp_bibliography.html
   2 records >> temp_library.html
   3 records >> temp_other_library.html
   4 records >> temp_astroweb.html
  16 records >> temp_other_astronomy.html
   9 records >> temp_pictures.html
   9 records >> temp_protocols.html
   1 records >> temp_misc.html
 120 records >> temp_stecf.html
 ----------------------------------------------------
   0 unrecognized category codes:
 ----------------------------------------------------
          temp_radio.html >> yp_observatory.html
        temp_optical.html >> yp_observatory.html
         temp_center.html >> yp_observatory.html
          temp_space.html >> yp_observatory.html
        temp_infosys.html >> yp_observatory.html
         temp_agency.html >> yp_observatory.html
           temp_dept.html >> yp_observatory.html
        temp_society.html >> yp_observatory.html
         temp_survey.html >> yp_observatory.html
    temp_text_search.html >> yp_text_search.html
      temp_newsgroup.html >> yp_newsgroup.html
       temp_software.html >> yp_software.html
 temp_document_tools.html >> yp_software.html
       temp_preprint.html >> yp_library.html
      temp_abstracts.html >> yp_library.html
      temp_full_text.html >> yp_library.html
   temp_bibliography.html >> yp_library.html
        temp_library.html >> yp_library.html
  temp_other_library.html >> yp_library.html
       temp_astroweb.html >> yp_astroweb.html
temp_other_astronomy.html >> yp_astroweb.html
       temp_pictures.html >> yp_pictures.html
      temp_protocols.html >> yp_protocols.html
           temp_misc.html >> yp_misc.html
          temp_stecf.html >> yp_misc.html
ls -lg temp_*.html
-rw-r--r--  1 dwells   aipspgmr      123 Feb 16 00:35 temp_tail.html
ls -lg yp_*.html
-rw-r--r--  1 dwells   aipspgmr     2392 Feb 16 00:37 yp_astronomy.html
-rw-r--r--  1 dwells   aipspgmr     5033 Feb 16 00:37 yp_astroweb.html
-rw-r--r--  1 dwells   aipspgmr    10597 Feb 16 00:37 yp_library.html
-rw-r--r--  1 dwells   aipspgmr    54673 Feb 16 00:36 yp_master.html
-rw-r--r--  1 dwells   aipspgmr    29046 Feb 14 10:33 yp_master_old.html
-rw-r--r--  1 dwells   aipspgmr    17673 Feb 16 00:37 yp_misc.html
-rw-r--r--  1 dwells   aipspgmr     3042 Feb 16 00:37 yp_newsgroup.html
-rw-r--r--  1 dwells   aipspgmr     9832 Feb 16 00:37 yp_observatory.html
-rw-r--r--  1 dwells   aipspgmr     2624 Feb 16 00:37 yp_pictures.html
-rw-r--r--  1 dwells   aipspgmr     3317 Feb 16 00:37 yp_protocols.html
-rw-r--r--  1 dwells   aipspgmr     4515 Feb 16 00:37 yp_software.html
-rw-r--r--  1 dwells   aipspgmr     3546 Feb 16 00:37 yp_text_search.html

Compilation finished at Wed Feb 16 00:37:20