Subject: TeX/LaTeX hook 2

From: [email-masked] (Hans-Martin Adorf)
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 1994 12:51:27 +0100

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Arrigus)
writes:
> Hello,
>
>       I am looking for an easy way to add a TeX/LaTeX hook to Mosaic which
> will enable me to download the TeX sources of files on the SISSA condensed
> matter archive and display them on the screen via xdvi. This would entail
> grabbing the source (which Mosaic sees as binary and offers to save onto the
> disc), passing it through latex and/or tex and then into xdvi for display on
> screen. The reason for this is that the PS output is very rarely available in
> the local fields of interest.
>       I had done this by applying patches to gopher ages ago but it wasn't
> as complicated as Mosaic. I was wondering if anyone has yet achieved this or
> if everyone just downloads to disc and then does it manually (we were
thinking
> of this method because not all our users are knowledgeable and like to tinker
> around with files, we were going to provide SISSA as the home page and then
> have users click on the article source and see the article on screen).

Everything you need to do this is already there.  Just make sure your users
have  a line like this in their /usr/local/lib/mosaic/mailcap file:
  application/x-dvi; open %s
where "open" is whatever application they use to open their TeX dvi files
(e.g., xdvi).

I put up an example dvifile  in
http://gopher.econ.lsa.umich.edu/Testing/Testing.html
and it "just worked".

--
[email-masked]    Hal Varian
voice: 313-764-2364     Dept of Economics
fax:   313-764-2364     Univ of Michigan
                        Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1220