Subject: AstroWeb announcement.

From: Andre HECK <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 94 08:30:20 +0100

Dear Friends,

When are we going to announce officially AstroWeb through Mosaic and
other media? I repeat my earlier proposal to have a short announcement
put also in Astron. Astrophys. Suppl. as I am pretty sure James Lequeux
would automatically publish it. This would allow us to `take date' (if
this expression has a meaning in English), advertise the venture and
prevent that so many incomplete lists pop up here and there.

Don, I wonder whether you are not the best person to put an initial
draft together by pasting bits and pieces from your earlier messages
to most of us. You have been involved too from the very beginning. 
Would this take a long time? If not, I could something, but not before
the second half of April.

Cheers,
Andre.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Prof. Andre HECK          -+-  *    Phone (direct)     +33-88.35.82.22
Observatoire Astronomique    *      Phone (Secretary)  +33-88.35.82.18
11, rue de l'Universite   -+-   *   Fax (direct)       +33-88.49.12.55
F-67000 Strasbourg      *    -+-    Fax (Secretary)    +33-88.25.01.60
France               -+-   *    *   Telex              890506 starobs f
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Mosaic homepage URL:     http://cdsweb.u-strasbg.fr/~heck
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (anton koekemoer)
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 94 19:39:32 EST

Dear friends,

Andre Heck writes:
> put also in Astron. Astrophys....  This would allow us to `take date' (if

This seems to point to the same goal as Hans-Martin's message about the WWW
conference:
> as you are presumably aware there is a WWW conference upcoming in May  at
> CERN and Fionn Murtagh and I tossed around the idea of one of us going
> there and presenting a paper on WWW in astronomy...

For what it's worth, I agree wholeheartedly with the idea of publicising this
effort as soon as possible - both at the WWW conference and in Astron.Ap.Suppl.
(as well as an announcement in the Mosaic "what's new" page of course).

Just as a side-issue, which URLs will be advertised - i.e. is this the time to
discuss taking up Don's idea of distributed maintenance of the databases, with
each of us maintaining a copy of the 'astroweb' directory with all its yp_*.html
files, changing them locally, and using ftp cronjobs to incorporate changes
made at the other sites? ...

						cheers,
						 - anton.