Subject: CERN conference on WWW

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 94 20:06:49 +0200

The deadline for abstract submission for the above is right now, and since
I may attend, I have taken the liberty to submit the following abstract.
This was done in some haste: let me know if I need to urgently rectify  
anything tomorrow.  Is anyone else going to be there?  The upcoming deadlines
are April 15 for a URL, and April 20 for notification of acceptance.  I 
would have liked to have discussed this a little, but I just ran out of time.

Best,
Fionn

----------------

AstroWeb: Astronomical Resources on the Internet

D. Wells (National Radio Astronomy Observatory, Charlottesville),
B. Jackson (Space Telescope Science Institute, Baltimore),
A. Koekemoer (Mount Stromlo and Siding Spring Observatories, Weston Creek), 
A. Heck (Strasbourg Observatory, Strasbourg),
H.-M. Adorf (Space Telescope - European Coordinating Facility, Garching),
F. Murtagh (Space Telescope - European Coordinating Facility, Garching).

Contact: F. Murtagh, ST-ECF, Karl-Schwarzschild-Str. 2, D-85748 Garching,
Germany.  Email: [email-masked], Tel: +49 89 32006-298, Fax: 
+49 89 32006-480.

Almost overnight, the World Wide Web has become a de-facto standard for 
information and documentation in astronomical departments and institutes.  
The AstroWeb consortium has set itself the task of maintaining a common 
list of astronomically-related URLs.  Currently there are more than 650 
URLs (see http://fits.cv.nrao.edu/www/astroweb/astronomy.html), 
categorized under: Observing Resources, Data Resources, Organizations, 
Software Resources, Publication-Related Resources, People-Related Resources, 
Various Lists of Astronomy Resources, Astronomical Imagery, Miscellaneous 
Resources.

The distributed information-gathering procedures used by the AstroWeb 
consortium are described, as are a range of searching and validation tools 
which have been developed.  The consortium's future plans are also outlined.

---

From: dwells (Don Wells)
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 94 14:12:26 EST

Fionn, your abstract looks good. Here are two changes:

 > B. Jackson (Space Telescope Science Institute, Baltimore),
   ^^^^^^^^^^
Bob should be the primary author. He proposed the idea. 

 > URLs (see http://fits.cv.nrao.edu/www/astroweb/astronomy.html), 
                                         ^^^^^^^^^
             http://fits.cv.nrao.edu/www/astronomy.html

I would rather that the general public not know about the significance
of my subdirectory. By the time anybody outside our group reads this
abstract, my public URL will be up-to-date.

-Don

PS: my prototype AstroWeb Resource Entry Form,
http://fits.cv.nrao.edu/www/astroweb/aref.html, has now been used by
several people, including one (Alan Richmond) who is not on our
mailing list (he helped me with several bugs/features). You can see
the output from the form at
http://fits.cv.nrao.edu/www/astroweb/inp_incoming.html. The Makefile
concatenates that file with the other files (currently inp_nrao and
inp_mssso) to compute a new version of the database, so the next time
I do a 'make' all the records that have been entered wil be
included. All of you are welcome to any of the code, of course. I am
also working on the Email entry form.