Subject: The ADS account ...

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 94 12:33:23 +0200

Please find copy of the answer received from Michael Naumann.

Daniel

------- Forwarded Message

To: egret@simbad (D. egret)
Cc: [email-masked], creze@simbad, [email-masked],
        [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Simbad on the Web via AIM, Muenster
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 94 17:35:02 +0200
From: Michael Naumann <[email-masked]>

Dear Daniel,

I'm awfully sorry that I caused such trouble on the Web by offering 
access to SIMBAD from our WWW pages. As of now -- 12 April 94 16:00 GMT -- 
I've removed this link from our bibliography page at
http://aquila.uni-muenster.de/astro-im-net/bibliography.html

You are absolutely right: this service from our WWW page should never 
have appeared on this page. The AIM (Astronomical Institute Muenster)
has an user agreement with ADS and access to the CfA/SIMBAD gateway 
service worldwide was not intended. When I linked it to our WWW page 
I thought the "native access" on the CfA/ADS side involved an 
authorization procedure so that only our registered host 
aquila.uni-muenster.de could use it. Obviously I was wrong.

I think it's a characteristic of the rapidly evolving WorldWideWeb that 
questions of copyright, authorship and unauthorized access come up and 
these questions have to be discussed. 
Thank you for your information and once again I want to apologize for any
inconvenience I caused to the astronomical community. I really hope that 
ADS will turn on the "native access" to SIMBAD as soon as possible.

Sincerely yours,
		Michael Naumann
AIM, Muenster

CC: Michel Creze (Director CDS)
    Guenther Eichhorn (ADS Project Manager)
    Waltraut Seitter (Director Astronomisches Institut Muenster)
CC: AstroWeb consortium

- --------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please find below a complete list of hosts (*.strasbg.fr excluded) 
and the date they accessed our bibliography page and therefore might have 
used the NASA-ADS-SIMBAD "native access". I will inform administrators
on these hosts to sign the ADS User Agreement.

  [ a short list followed ...   DE]