Subject: Test#2 of AstroWeb Database Correction Report Form

From: [email-masked] (Mismatched NFS ID's)
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 94 10:08:10 EDT

Message entered by: Don Wells @ fits.cv.nrao.edu [192.33.115.8]

Dear  AstroWeb friends,

My test#1 last night worked --- it transmitted to you, as well as sending
a copy to me at the address I gave in the "Email" field.

Therefore, I am nearly ready to go public. I expect to edit my top-level page 
somewhat today, and maybe to introduce a little piece of text on 
the history of this effort.  I am likely to move the 'Radio
Observatories' list into a separate page, and make 'Telescopes' the 
first item on my top-level page. These are minor things.
The important thing is that I intend to release a new version sometime
in the next 24 hours, *before* Bob's public announcement.

My new version will use the 'trademark' name 'AstroWeb'.
It appears to me that our group has a working consensus favoring
this name. Furthermore, my new version will use the word 'Consortium',
as in 'AstroWeb Consortium'. In private mail I mentioned to Anton that
I was unsure whether we should call ourselves a 'Consortium', a 'Group'
or a 'Collaboration'. Anton said he couldn't see any difference between
the words for this purpose. As a native English speaker, I thank him for
this observation. English has a redundant vocabulary and, for a variety
of cultural and historic reasons, the duplicated terms often have 
slightly different meanings to native speakers of the language. Evidently
much of this subtle modulation is invisible to the vast number who use
the language as a practical tool. If anyone objects to 'Consortium' they
should speak up sometime in the next 8-12 hours.

Best regards,
Don

PS-- the messages from this 'CGI' script will appear to come from 
' [email-masked] (Mismatched NFS ID's)'. This is telling us 
something about the user-id under which the local httpd daemon is 
executing. I am considering various fixes for this feature, and would
be pleased to receive suggested fixes.