Subject: AstroWeb CDS pages

From: [email-masked] (D. egret)
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 94 14:33:42 +0200

Last news of the CDS AstroWeb pages: they include now mirror copies
of all the other AstroWeb pages (NRAO, STScI, STECF, MSSSO), updated 
every night at 5:49.

In practice I am not sure it's really useful on a network point of view
(from here, for instance, only MSSSO is really difficult to reach; links
to the States are *generally* fast enough -- only the VanGogh picture
is slow to transfer !!). But I find that quite satisfactory as an example
of how can work an efficient world-wide collaboration.

For your information here is the list of files I transfer (please let
me know when locations or names of some of these files are changed !):
NRAO
http://fits.cv.nrao.edu/www/astronomy.html
http://fits.cv.nrao.edu/www/yp_areas.html
http://fits.cv.nrao.edu/www/yp_observing.html
http://fits.cv.nrao.edu/www/yp_data.html
http://fits.cv.nrao.edu/www/yp_organization.html
http://fits.cv.nrao.edu/www/yp_software.html
http://fits.cv.nrao.edu/www/yp_library.html
http://fits.cv.nrao.edu/www/yp_people.html
http://fits.cv.nrao.edu/www/yp_astroweb.html
http://fits.cv.nrao.edu/www/yp_pictures.html
http://fits.cv.nrao.edu/www/yp_misc.html
MSSSO
http://meteor.anu.edu.au/anton astronomy.html
ST-ECF
http://ecf.hq.eso.org/astro-resources.html
STScI
http://stsci.edu/net-resources.html
http://stsci.edu/astroweb-html/net-ftp.html
http://stsci.edu/astroweb-html/net-gopher.html
http://stsci.edu/astroweb-html/net-news.html
http://stsci.edu/astroweb-html/net-telnet.html
http://stsci.edu/astroweb-html/net-wais.html
http://stsci.edu/astroweb-html/net-www.html
For completeness: CDS files are:
http://cdsweb.u-strasbg.fr/astroweb.html
http://cdsweb.u-strasbg.fr/~heck/url1.htm
http://cdsweb.u-strasbg.fr/~heck/url2.htm

Best regards,

Daniel

PS: Bob: Francois Ochsenbein ([email-masked]) tells me
he has a C version of the B1950 -> J2000 package, but that he is
still working for double checking it.

---

From: [email-masked] (anton koekemoer)
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 94 22:54:54 EST

> to the States are *generally* fast enough -- only the VanGogh picture

Interesting... I generally find Europe difficult to reach while links to the US
are also fast. I think this is because the only link out of Australia is
trans-Pacific, so anything to/from Europe goes via the U.S first.

To save on such traffic, how about first getting one of the header files
(updated when 'make' is run) - if this is more recent than your current mirror
copy from that site then fetch the rest, else leave them. It should be possible
to incorporate this into your automatic transfer. I've been wondering for a 
while about what's going to happen when we all start transferring mirror copies
of each others' files...

> http://meteor.anu.edu.au/anton astronomy.html

For some reason the '/' got left out in that URL:

http://meteor.anu.edu.au/anton/astronomy.html

If you're interested in any of the awk scripts, some of which I've modified
from Don's NRAO versions, as well as the MSSSO header file (in this case
"head_astro_mssso.html"), they are in my 'development' directory (a modified
version of Don's astroweb directory):

http://meteor.anu.edu.au/anton/astroweb/

I intend to also make a formal astroweb mirror available as soon as possible,
as well as splitting my page up into a number of smaller ones and generally
tidying it up; the main reason for not doing it to date is just lack of time.

						cheers,
						 - anton.

---

From: [email-masked] (anton koekemoer)
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 94 23:01:49 EST

Our file server has also been up and down like a yo-yo since a power-glitch
on Wednesday, which might explain any recent connectivity problems. The
computing section tried something today which will hopefully fix it.

						- anton.