Subject: AstroWeb paper for Astron. Astrophys. Suppl.

From: Andre HECK <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 May 94 16:44:45 +0200

James,

I just received your note expressing your willingness to publish our
note on AstroWeb conditioned to the fact we mention in the abstract
that A&A abstracts are accessible on WWW.

I appreciate your a priori positive position towards our paper and I
understand your interest in  having this mentioned in our abstract,
but I am afraid that, if we do this, this would be unfair for the
hundreds of other services and organizations listed in AstroWeb that
could complain we did not do the same about them.

Our feeling here is that the resource `A&A abstracts/WWW' (already
announced actually in A&A 284 (1994) E1 & A&ASuppl. 104 (1994) 1) is
more an A&A/CDS matter than an AstroWeb one. We would rather suggest a
specific paper on this matter either within the scope of CDS WWW services
or of CDS yellow-page services. Such a paper would also allow, on one hand,
future usage of this A&A abstracts service to be better referenced and, on
the other hand, a more adequate recognition of the distinct contributions
to this service and AstroWeb (in other words, the authorships of the
papers should be different).

As a kind of compromise, we could always add in the AstroWeb paper an
illustration to the paper (a kind of screen copy of the corresponding
CDS Mosaic page), but, again, I think this is a bit out of the way of a
paper directly centered on the AstroWeb consortium.

This message is actually copied to the other members of this consortium
in order to trigger their reactions.

Andre.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Prof. Andre HECK          -+-  *    Phone (direct)     +33-88.35.82.22
Observatoire Astronomique    *      Phone (Secretary)  +33-88.35.82.18
11, rue de l'Universite   -+-   *   Fax (direct)       +33-88.49.12.55
F-67000 Strasbourg      *    -+-    Fax (Secretary)    +33-88.25.01.60
France               -+-   *    *   Telex              890506 starobs f
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Mosaic homepage URL:     http://cdsweb.u-strasbg.fr/~heck
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Bob Jackson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 May 94 12:57:47 EDT

I agree with you position on "we mention in the abstract
that A&A abstracts are accessible on WWW" and with
your suggested compromise.

There are other journals, e.g., PASP ([email-masked] ed.)

			Bob