Subject: Re: ADASS '94

From: [email-masked] (Hans-Martin Adorf)
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 1994 08:53:18 +0100

Dear Bob,

thanks for drawing my/our attention to the special meeting on electronic
prepress taking place after the ADASS conference. Certainly I am
interested, though I might raise views which are minority views at this
point in time.

One thing that interests me (after the usual format problems have been
sorted out) is information searching (using e.g. WAIS or Z39.50) and
configurable  information filtering (including automated alerts via
e-mail).

I am right now experimenting with an information filter built in into
Eudora 2.0, a mail popper which I am using on my Mac for handling e-mail.
It is configured to sort incoming mail into 4 in-boxes (ST-ECF, STScI, ESO
and other) and, depending on the sender, may raise the message's priority.
Content-based filtering operations are also possible, but I am not using
them right now.

I am mentioning this because such a local filter could be exploited in a
distributed electronic alert system with specified and published keywords
acting as a triggers for local information filtering.

Let me know if you want me to speak up on this issue.

Cheers
Hans-Martin