Subject: Re: update the astroweb

From: [email-masked] (D. egret)
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 94 10:18:11 +0200

Dear friends,

  I agree with the approach suggested by Anton and Don regarding the
addition of new entries.

  On my side I have started thinking about the improvement of existing entries.
More specifically, staying in a field I know reasonably well, the
"Data resources, and information systems", I have looked at the
contents of the database with a "referee's" eye. A lot of minor (or less
minor) things can lead to improvements (correction of errors, addition
of cross-reference, changes in the categorization, addition of 
missing entries, etc.).    I would be willing to spend some time 
in the near future incorporating such corrections.

  And now, my complaints... The correction mode is currently
too heavy to use (at least to my knowledge:I may have missed
some proposed solutions ?): the way I found is to EDIT the whole master 
database (from Bob's form http://lor.stsci.edu/cgi-bin/astrowebedit/login). 
It is not practical to use the Mosaic field window
(because of the size of the database and the length of the lines)
and when I save the html file locally, I cannot use my familiar tools 
(... vi and other Unix tools) because the lines are too long...
Could Bob also confirm the status of the use of <, > and & in this file ?

  So, my suggestion: Would it be possible to apply a more
convenient format to the html master file (i.e. with short lines, 
and a presentation close enough to what will apeear on the MOSAIC page).
This would be a real help for those of us who are not "computer gurus" !  
(Well, let's see, am I the only one  ;-) ?).

  Next time, I will request a real DBMS, allowing to access any entry and
update it !!!  

Best regards
Daniel

---

From: Bob Jackson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 94 09:05:44 EDT

w.r.t.

******************************************************
I use emacs which does the line wrap automagicly.

Looking at "UNIX in a Nutshell", I wonder if

	set wrapmargin=60

might solve your problem.
******************************************************

w.r.t.

******************************************************
These characters have to be escaped in order to use
HTML for file transfer.  Sorry.
******************************************************

w.r.t.

******************************************************
The above fix may solve your problem.
One of my next things to do is to implement the
'MODIFY a single resource' feature.
******************************************************