Subject: NRAO situation, master database

From: dwells (Don Wells)
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 94 11:41:43 EDT

Dear AstroWeb friends,

The AstroWeb pages at NRAO have been computed solely from the STScI
database for several days now. The procedure has worked well so
far. Therefore, I decided yesterday that I will make it be automatic.
Due to a trivial syntax error, it did not work on the first try 6
hours ago, and so once again I had to order it by hand. It is highly
likely that the automatic procedure will work tomorrow, 18 hours from
now.

The file http://fits.cv.nrao.edu/www/yp_master.html will be computed
from the STScI database at 5am Eastern every day, and so it will
continue to be a version of the master database for AstroWeb. However,
the files in my 'astroweb' subdirectory will be subject to change!  I
would like to know which of those files are being used by other
AstroWeb sites. In particular, I expect to make more changes in my AWK
scripts and Makefile and I expect to delete the yp_* files in the
astroweb subdirectory (they are now identical to the versions in the
parent directory).

                -*-

I have made several changes in the AstroWeb master database at STScI
in recent days.  I expect to make more changes. Anton has been very
active in recent days! The database is visibly better each day. I
conclude that we are on the right track, that Bob's concept of the
central server based on forms and CVS is working, and I encourage the
members of the Consortium who have not yet begun to use the database
forms to do so.

                -*-

I am considering implementing various improvements for the AstroWeb
input forms and supporting software. Before beginning the project, I
would like to hear opinions and ideas from the Consortium. My main
goal will be to provide means such that AstroWeb members can easily
edit submitted resources and insert them into the STScI database, and
can mark them off the list of inputs. Is this what we want? Is anyone
else planning to implement some sort of overlapping capability? Is
there a better way to reach our goals?

-Don