Subject: new WAIS sources

From: [email-masked] (Hans-Martin Adorf)
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 1994 17:39:45 -0500

Hello,

I have hunted for astronomical WAIS sources not yet included in our
AstroWeb listings. Here are my 18 findings:

Sources at stardust.jpl.nasa.gov
--------------------------------
PDS_catalog.src
PDS_labels.src
PDS_standards.src
PDS_templates.src

Sources at wfpc3.la.asu.edu
---------------------------
sci.astro.hubble.src

Sources at anarky.stsci.edu
---------------------------
sci-ulas-db.src
astroweb.src (requires authorization)

Sources at ecf.hq.eso.org
-------------------------
hst-one-book.src
stecf-directory-of-servers.src
stecf-newsletter-index.src
stecf-sw-library.src
stecf-www.src

Fionn Murtagh's sources at the ST-ECF (temporary?)
--------------------------------------------------
hst-literature.src
hst-observing-proposals-noPI.src
hst-observing-proposals.src
hst-publications.src
proposal-abstracts-5.src
wfpc-im-text.src

Note that some of the WAIS sources at the ST-ECF are currently
non-operational due to a temporary disk space problem. Should be fixed
within a few days. Also the names of some of the sources at the ST-ECF need
a revision.

I wonder how all these sources are best incorporated into AstroWeb. Anyone
volunteering? (I am tired after the hunting effort.) I could provide the
WAIS source descriptions.

Hans-Martin

---

From: [email-masked] (Don Wells)
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 94 18:42:44 EDT

Hans-Martin Adorf writes:
 > I wonder how all these sources are best incorporated into AstroWeb. 

I recommend using 

    AstroWeb Resource Entry Form 
    http://fits.cv.nrao.edu/www/astroweb/aref.html

for the cases which are not already in AstroWeb. When I am doing this
I usually have two copies of Mosaic running, one with the form and one
to open on the resources. I cut text from the descriptions in the
resource pages (in case of WAIS, "source" files) and paste it into the
Resource Entry Form. The records will be added to the database within
a few days (Anton almost always beats me to it).  In fact, if you
wanted to change an existing record, and didn't want to interact with
the database, you could use the form and fill it with the text from
the existing record plus your modifications. You could use Bob's tools
to delete the old record if you wished (deleting is very easy).

I recommend that you try the entry form. 

-Don