Subject: Free Internet Access in Italy

From: [email-masked] (Hans-Martin Adorf)
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 1994 09:01:28 +0100

Free Internet Access in Italy

  by Adam C. Engst <[email-masked]>

  Mario Marinelli <[email-masked]> tells us that, in what
  may be a first, the Italian city of Bologna now provides free
  Internet access to all its citizens.

http://www.infn.it/pub/CNAF/Bologna.html

  CINECA, a semi-public organization owned in part by the City of
  Bologna, has leased a 128K high speed link to the Internet and
  provides Internet access in several ways, including basic Unix
  shell accounts, a BBS (probably SoftArc's FirstClass) that will
  provide news and email, and also, for a fee of $20 per month, SLIP
  or PPP accounts for more advanced users who want their own
  Internet nodes. The project, called NetTuno ("Nettuno" is the
  Italian name for the Roman god of the sea and the symbol of
  Bologna), has been joined by the cities of Rome and Turin as well.
  If other Italian cities follow suit, it could lead to a
  significant upswell in Internet use from Italy.

  The initiative apparently started as a result of the responses to
  a series of newspaper articles about global networking and its
  impact for growth in business opportunities, but perhaps more
  interesting, in response to articles discussing the development
  and implementation of a new model of participatory democracy. You
  can get more information about the project via email from
  <[email-masked]> or via the Web (assuming you read Italian)
  at:

http://www.cineca.it/nettuno/nettuno.htm

  [Incidentally, I found the above information on Bologna via The
  Virtual Tourist, an especially interesting Web service located at
  the URL below. -Adam]

http://wings.buffalo.edu/world/