Subject: Re: Question

From: Bob Jackson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 94 08:42:51 EST

I have a question: Do you really test 1160 URL-pages THREE (!) times a
day? I think that Internet-access not only here in Europe ist too slow
to waste that much capacity. Perhaps one test each day should be enough,
shouldn't it? (Don't forget that other servers do the same...)

If your server is getting more than 30 contacts per day,
then my three times daily checking is lost in the noise.

I am not aware of many other services checking the aliveness
of their links.

Last but not least a tip:
it would not take minutes to receive an URL, if you needn't receive
a lot of not requested subtopics (if you e.g. choose "Radio Astronomy",
i.e. http://fits.cv.nrao.edu/www/yp_areas.html#radio out of
"Research areas of Astronomy", you also receive "Optical astronomy",
"Space Astronomy", "Solar Astronomy" and "Planetary Astronomy" which
contain more than 200 records instead of 39 - and that's not the worst
example).
Perhaps you could start a discussion about that...

The aggregation of individual pages is under the control of the
local site maintainer at NRAO, CDS, MSSSO, ...

Alternatively you could use the search facility to only look
for RADIO.