Subject: Merging proposal, version 2.0

From: Jose Daniel Ponz VILSPA/VCS <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 1994 14:51:25 +0200 (CET)

After the discussions on the merging proposal, here you have the simplified 
(second) version:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
   Proposal for merging AstroWeb and WWW VL-Asron&Astrophys. at CERN into
               ``The AstroWeb Virtual Library''
                          version 2.0   
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Generate a common database by merging URLs in AstroWeb and WWW-VL.
   The new master version of the database, in TCL form, is located at ST/ScI.

2. An HTML-format version of the database is generated from the master, 
   and mirror copies are transferred to Level-1 centers.

3. Level-1 centers are CDS, CERN, MSSSO, NRAO, ST/ECF, ST/ScI and VILSPA.

4. The master database is maintained by people at level-1 centers, 
   using the remote editing facility. Information required to update the 
   database is collected via update/correction forms, e-mails and discussions 
   in the AstroWeb exploder.

5. Sergio Paoli is invited to joint the group. He will maintain the CERN 
   mirror copy.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you have additional comments this proposal, before sending it to Sergio?

Daniel

---

From: [email-masked] (Don Wells)
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 94 10:48:31 EST

>                ``The AstroWeb Virtual Library''

I recommend that the title be "Proposal for merging AstroWeb and WWW
VL-Astron.&Astrophys.". Both AstroWeb and the Virtual Library have
name-recognition which should be maintained; invention of a third name
is not justified, and would even be counter-productive.

The proposal should say that the AstroWeb pages will mention that
CERN-VL (LaPlata) is a part of the Consortium, and that the CERN-VL
pages will mention that their data comes from the AstroWeb database.
The proposal should recommend that the CERN-VL pages will contain
links to the AstroWeb search service(s) and entry forms.

 > 1. Generate a common database by merging URLs in AstroWeb and WWW-VL.

The proposal should state that Sergio will not have to do all of the
hard work of the merger -- the Consortium members will share the
burden.  I recommend that the implementation plan be that Sergio will
create the daemon which will compute the CERN-VL pages from the
AstroWeb database while the rest of the AstroWeb team is adding the
CERN-VL records to the database. At the end of the process, after
testing and the changeover, we can make a joint announcement of some
sort.

 > 3. Level-1 centers are CDS, CERN, MSSSO, NRAO, ST/ECF, ST/ScI and VILSPA.

For "CERN", I would say "CERN-VL (LaPlata)".

-Don