Subject: Master base location

From: Andre HECK <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 94 07:29:39 +0100

Allow me to come into this debate about the location of the master base,
because I am afraid it is next to the main point, if we are aiming at a
long-term policy. If the last arguments of Bob are correct, they can be
used in favor of one site or another though.

What should matter basically is a guarantee that the location adopted
will not be kicking out AstroWeb from one day to the other without ad
hoc warning and that an adequate maintenance, resp. development, of the 
base will be ensured even if, for some reasons, the current human kernel
is no more available.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the only place that offered such a service
and guarantee from an institutional point of view is CDS located at
Strasbourg Observatory (no chauvinism: I am Observatory, not CDS ...).
This is of course understandable since this is part of CDS' fundamental 
mission.

By the way, ...

                *                                                               
               -|-                                                              
                |               ***************************************         
                *               *                                     *         
               * *              *                                     *         
              * . *             *             H A P P Y               *         
           *  -|-    *          *                                     *         
              *   *             *           N E W  Y E A R  !         *         
            * .  -|-*           *                                     *         
         * .           *        *                                     *         
             *-|-  *            ***************************************         
           *       . *                                                          
        *.    .     -|- *                                                       
    *-|-   -|-   .        . *                                                   
       *  .      -|-   *                                                        
              * _ _ *                                                           
               |_|                                                              
            __/___\__                                                           

... and see you in a few days in Tucson?

Andre.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Prof.) Andre HECK        -+-  *    Phone (direct)       +33-88.35.82.22
Observatoire Astronomique    *      Phone (Secretary)    +33-88.35.82.18
11, rue de l'Universite   -+-   *   Fax (direct/private) +33-88.49.12.55
F-67000 Strasbourg      *    -+-    Fax (Secretary)      +33-88.25.01.60
France               -+-   *    *   ISDN/Numeris (priv.) +33-88.48.20.60
------------------------------------------------------------------------
 e-mail:  [email-masked]
 URL:     http://cdsweb.u-strasbg.fr/~heck
------------------------------------------------------------------------