Subject: Re: Mirror copy at Vilspa

From: [email-masked] (Hans-Martin Adorf)
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 1994 10:48:09 +0100

>probably we will need to add an astronomical library specialist

I recently spoke to Uta Michold (ESO librarian) and she seemed to be
interested. May be a second (written) approach is necessaty to get her into
the boat.

Hans-Martin

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 94 15:33:58 +0100

> interested. May be a second (written) approach is necessaty to get her into
 
If Uta wants this, then this represents a nice opportunity to be availed of,
given the redefinition of the librarian's role.

If this meets general agreement, then we here can liaise closely with her
in the short-term.
 
Fionn

---

From: Jose Daniel Ponz VILSPA/VCS <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 1994 12:19:50 +0200 (CET)

Dear colleagues,

   First, thanks for taking my request into account. My idea, after 
discussing it with Hans-Martin Adorf and Andre Heck, was to have a mirror 
copy of the AstroWeb database at Villafranca. This is rather critical, due
to the current demands with the IUE project and because the scientific staff 
at Villafranca will be increased in the near future, due to the ISO project. 

   Second, as pointed out by Bob Jackson, there are three major functions in
the AstroWeb coordination, below I indicate my view on each one:

1. Mirroring the contents of the AstroWeb database: this was my request,
   and AstroWeb should be prepared for including more (major) centers
   to this list. 
   Current status: I have been contacted by Daniel Egret so as to prepare 
   our environment for this purpose. 
2. Participating in the AstroWeb discussions (via the e-mail exploder list):
   I was not aware of this list and, in principle, other people will be
   interested in participating. In my view, it should be as open as possible.
3. Updating the AstroWeb database: My understanding is that there are
   three mechanisms to update the database,
   - after discussion within the AstroWeb Email exploder,
   - by using Don's forms, and	
   - by the "Edit Entire Database".
   While the two first mechanisms are in principle open, the third one
   should be restricted to _one_ person, i.e., update proposals are
   openly discussed but the actual update and database _quality_control_ is
   the responsibility of a single person. Well, this is my view on this topic;
   therefore, being allowed to "Edit the Entire Database" is not a 
   requirement for me (at least at the moment).

Third, I have a question on the relationship between AstroWeb and the 
Astronomy page in the Virtual Library maintained at CERN. The new layout
includes a link to the AstroWeb, but, are you planning to have a more unified 
access? (namely, by merging the two databases).

If you have additional information (i.e., not avalable in the Web), on the 
rules and/or mechanisms followed by the consortium, please, send me a copy.
   
   Best regards,

   Daniel Ponz
   ESA/Villafranca                             e-mail: [email-masked]
   P.O. Box 50727, 28080 Madrid                Phone:  34-1-8131183

---

From: [email-masked] (Hans-Martin Adorf)
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 1994 13:41:12 +0100

Daniel,

>access? (namely, by merging the two databases).

I vaguely remember that I have once been contacted by someone asking
whether I would consider to become responsible for maintaining the
astronomy page in the virtual library. I don't think that I followed that
msg up in a serious manner.

Hans-Martin

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 94 14:48:47 +0100

>access? (namely, by merging the two databases).

This CERN page is outrageously outdated : it was suggested earlier
to the manager of this page to simply refer to AstroWeb and he more
or less agreed but six months later the page is still there...
   Maybe one of us should kindly suggest him he could at least
give a bette visibility to AstroWeb in his page.

Daniel Egret

--------------
From Don (3 Mar 94)
> The question of whether some single unique URL should be designated as
> the initial point of contact for astronomy remains open. In
> particular, in the existing global indexes maintained by CERN and GNN,
> and several others, STScI is currently taking that role. The
> maintainer of a global astronomy list at CERN actually told Bob that
> Bob's list was better than his, and so he would make CERN point to STScI.