Subject: Merging proposal, version 2.1 (final?)

From: Jose Daniel Ponz VILSPA/VCS <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 1995 13:05:14 +0200 (CET)

After the New Year holidays, here you have the version 2.1 of the 
proposal, including comments and suggestions from the group.
The proposal (v.2.0) was forwarded to Sergio Paoli and he agrees.

We could include Sergio in the AstroWeb exploder list for further discussions
on more concrete matters. 
     
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Proposal for merging AstroWeb and WWW VL-Astron.&Astrophys. 
                          version 2.1   
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Generate a common database by merging URLs in AstroWeb and WWW-VL.
   The new master version of the database, in TCL form, is located at ST/ScI.

2. An HTML-format version of the database is generated from the master.
   The transfer of mirror copies is initiated and performed by   
   Level-1 and Level-2 sites.

3. Level-1 sites are:
     CDS, CERN-VL (La Plata), MSSSO, NRAO, ST/ECF, ST/ScI and VILSPA.

4. Level-2 sites will transfer mirror copies from any Level-1 center.

5. The master database is maintained by people at Level-1 centers, 
   using the remote editing facility. Information required to update the 
   database is collected via update/correction forms, e-mails and discussions 
   in the AstroWeb exploder.

6. Sergio Paoli is invited to joint the group. He will maintain the 
   CERN-VL mirror copy.

7. The AstroWeb pages will mention that CERN-VL (La Plata) is part of the
   Consortium, and the CERN-VL pages will mention that their data comes
   from the AstroWeb database.

8. It is recommended that CERN-VL pages contain links to the AstroWeb 
   search service(s) and entry forms.

9. The implementation plan has to be defined, the following points are 
   proposed: 
   - Records in the CERN-VL pages not available in the  AstroWeb database
     are identified.
   - New categories are defined if required (for instance, MAILING LISTS
     are not available under AstroWeb). 
   - The Consortium members will share the addition of new records into the
     AstroWeb database.
   - Sergio will create a daemon to compute the CERN-VL pages from the 
     AstroWeb database (with our help, if requested).
   - At the end of the process, after testing and changeover, the merged
     database should be announced.      
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

A copy of this e-mail has been forwarded to [email-masked] 
    
Happy New Year!

Daniel

---

From: [email-masked] (Don Wells)
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 95 07:56:00 EST

Welcome aboard, Sergio! Here is the current mailing list:

Don Wells         <[email-masked]>
Bob Jackson       <[email-masked]>
Hans-Martin Adorf <[email-masked]>
Andre HECK        <[email-masked]>
Daniel Egret      <[email-masked]>
anton koekemoer   <[email-masked]>
Fionn Murtagh     <[email-masked]>
Jose Daniel Ponz  <[email-masked]>
Sergio Paoli      <[email-masked]>

All traffic on exploder <[email-masked]> is archived at 
    ftp://fits.cv.nrao.edu/fits/traffic/astroweb/

Best regards,
Don

---

From: [email-masked] (Don Wells)
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 95 07:59:38 EST

[This is my second try --- Sergio's address was wrong on the first try.]

Sergio Paoli      <[email-masked]>

Best regards,
Don

---

From: [email-masked] (Don Wells)
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 95 13:57:41 EST

Dear AstroWeb friends,

Jose Daniel Ponz writes:
 >    Consortium..

<A HREF="http://fits.cv.nrao.edu/www/astroweb.html">The AstroWeb Consortium</A>
has been revised to include WWW-VL (La Plata). Other changes were also
made in this page, which is referenced in most (all?) AstroWeb pages. Comments?

 >      are not available under AstroWeb). 

I recommend that Bob add code "mailing_list" to the set of legal categories.

-Don

---

From: Bob Jackson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 95 14:13:19 EST

I have added

	mailing_list

to the legal categorys in astrowebedit.

It is only a primary category and not a secondary category.
Is this OK?

		Bob

---

From: Bob Jackson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 95 14:26:14 EST

I have no problems with 

			Bob

---

From: [email-masked] (Don Wells)
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 95 16:28:22 EST

Bob Jackson writes:
 > I have added > mailing_list > to the legal categorys in astrowebedit.

I ADDed two mailing_list records to the database.  I then recomputed
the AstroWeb pages at NRAO.  I had to add code to program dtsort.awk
because the two new URLs use code "mailto:" (the URLs will mail a
subscription request!).  I also changed dtsplit.awk in order to add
the new category to my pages. The new category works; see

    http://fits.cv.nrao.edu/www/yp_people.html#mailing_list

-Don

---

From: (Sergio Paoli) <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 95 18:44:45 SAT

>     http://fits.cv.nrao.edu/www/yp_people.html#mailing_list

     One thing, Don, in this page there are sections about 
     
     People 
     Personal Web pages
     Jobs
     Conferences and Meetings
     Newsgroups (at least somewhat astronomy-related)
     Mailing Lists (at least somewhat astronomy-related)
     
     If I want the section Mailing Lists only, I need load all the page.
     I prefer to split one big page in different small pages.
     There are opinions about this?

                                                       Sergio   ;-)

--
+-----------------------------------------+------------------------------+
: Sergio A. Paoli                         :  Paseo del Bosque s/n        :
: Department of Spectroscopy              :  (1900) La Plata             :
: Astronomical Observatory                :  Argentina                   :
+-----------------------------------------+------------------------------+
: Phones   +54 21 21-7308                                                :
:          +54 21  3-8810                                                :
: Fax      +54 21 21-1761                                                :
: e-mail:  [email-masked]                              : 
: WWW:     http://www.fcaglp.unlp.edu.ar/spaoli/sergio-home.html         :
+-----------------------------------------+------------------------------+

---

From: dwells (Don Wells)
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 95 23:17:25 EST

Don Wells writes:
 > Sergio Paoli writes:
 > I agree, and I intend to change the layout of those pages RSN..

I have made the change -- each category is now in a separate page.
The code of program http://fits.cv.nrao.edu/www/astroweb/dtsplit.awk
was changed, the configuration table was not changed at all. The
previous version is file dtsplit.old

-Don