Subject: Mailing lists

From: Andre HECK <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 95 06:51:18 +0100

Just a couple of words about this category:
- as the commercial use of the Internet is dramatically increasing, there
  will be a growing commercial interest in such resources, be they lists
  of e-mail or postal addresses;
- as we experienced quite recently here, there is a strong, vocal and
  nastily active kernel or lobby of people, essentially in the US,
  fighting vigorously unsollicited e-mail; they refer to some Internet
  ethical charter that could be indeed interpreted in their favour.
Unsollicited mail appears to be a really hot issue - again essentially
in the US - and I believe that AstroWeb should put some caveats on top
of the mailing-lists category if people will be able to retrieve and 
indiscrimately use such resources through AstroWeb.
AH.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Prof.) Andre HECK        -+-  *    Phone (direct)       +33-88.35.82.22
Observatoire Astronomique    *      Phone (Secretary)    +33-88.35.82.18
11, rue de l'Universite   -+-   *   Fax (direct/private) +33-88.49.12.55
F-67000 Strasbourg      *    -+-    Fax (Secretary)      +33-88.25.01.60
France               -+-   *    *   ISDN/Numeris (priv.) +33-88.48.20.60
------------------------------------------------------------------------
 e-mail:  [email-masked]
 URL:     http://cdsweb.u-strasbg.fr/~heck
------------------------------------------------------------------------