Subject: German Umlaute

From: [email-masked] (Hans-Martin Adorf)
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 1995 16:01:13 +0100

Dear friends,

I have been looking at the German entries of our database and noted two things:

1. AstroWeb is amazingly incomplete w.r. to German astronomical institutes.

2. The German Umlaute are sometimes spelled out explicitely (ae, oe, ue),
sometimes printed directly (how I do not know since my internatioal
keyboard at the Sun does not show them; I can only copy thme from existing
documents), sometimes given in HTML form, and sometimes missing altogether.

In order to address point 1 I am looking at various German sites who have
assembled lists of German astronomical sites and try to collect new URLs.
However its a tedious work, since the German networks are so slow.

In order to address point 2 I believe that someone (presumably me) inthe
not too distant future will have to got through the whole database and
homogenize the entries. The question is how to encode the Umlaute. Any
suggestions are welcome.

Cheers
Hans-Martin

---

From: [email-masked] (Don Wells)
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 95 10:34:22 EST

"HA" == Hans-Martin Adorf <[email-masked]> writes:

HA> .. The question is how to encode the Umlaute. Any
HA> suggestions are welcome.

I recommend using HTML codes. See

    Special Characters in HTML
    http://www.utirc.utoronto.ca/HTMLdocs/NewHTML/entities.html

which contains a link to the table

    ISO 8859  (Latin-1) Characters List
    http://www.utirc.utoronto.ca/HTMLdocs/NewHTML/iso_table.html

-Don