Subject: An `illicit' use of the name?

From: Andre HECK <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 95 09:50:09 +0100

Am I disembarking from another planet and/or is the following known to 
you?

AstroWebVienna: http://venus.ast.univie.ac.at/index.html

I believe we might/should do something about this on the basis of the 
refereed papers already published.

Andre.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: dwells (Don Wells)
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 95 11:40:52 EST

"AH" == Andre HECK <[email-masked]> writes:
AH> AstroWebVienna: http://venus.ast.univie.ac.at/index.html

I agree. Albert Washüttl's use of "our" name is improper.

His "Astronomical Links"
[http://venus.ast.univie.ac.at/astrolinks.html] page shows that the
usage is not an accident --- he knows about us. He even has a local
copy (the name-sorted version, 300_KB) of the AstroWeb master
database. It does not contain recent updates.  In my opinion, local
copies of our database should not be provided anywhere unless they are
updated automatically by daemons, and a simple name-sorted version
with 1000+ records in 300_KB is very bad practice.

AH> I believe we might/should do something about this on the basis of the 
AH> refereed papers already published.

I agree. Should we simply ask him to stop using our name, and perhaps
also to remove our database from his server, or should we invite him
to join us and install an update daemon? As far as I can see, he has
found few if any new records himself, has no new categories and no new
tools. Do any of you, Hans-Martin perhaps, know him?

-Don