Subject: ST-ECF Newsletter in Acrobat format

From: [email-masked] (Hans-Martin Adorf)
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 1995 17:34:47 +0200

Dear AstroWebbers,

we just succeeded in putting our ST-ECF Newsletter in Adobe Acrobat PDF
format onto the web (http://ecf.hq.eso.org/stecf-nl-23/toc.html). The file
was not printed directly from PageMaker (that lead to problems we do not
yet understand), but generated from a PostScript file using the Acrobat
Distiller on an Apple Macintosh PPC 8100/110. It took 7 minutes to generate
the PDF file.

Amazingly a lot of information is preserved in the transformation. Using
the AcroReader one can select text, and cut and past it into other
documents. One can also search for text. On the Mac one can even select the
graphics. (That means one can more or less backwards-engineer a source file
from its PostScript rendering.)

So far I've tested the Acrobat Reader 2.0 on the Mac and the Acrobat Reader
1.0 on the Sun. The Mac reader seems to have a problem with selecting
single-column text from multi-column text.

Looks good otherwise.

Hans-Martin