Subject: New AstroWeb database location

From: Bob Jackson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 95 11:16:12 EDT

The URL for the AstroWeb database is now:

	http://www.stsci.edu/astroweb/newmaster.html
	http://www.stsci.edu/astroweb/newmaster.tcl

The URL used to edit the database is now:

	http://www.stsci.edu/astroweb/astroweb-cvs.html

You should stop using the following URLs:

	http://lor.stsci.edu/astroweb/newmaster.html
	http://lor.stsci.edu/astroweb/newmaster.tcl
	http://lor.stsci.edu/astroweb/astroweb-cvs.html

				Bob

---

From: astronomia latino americana <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 95 19:14:29 CST

I don't know how much effort such a change would entail, so this suggestion
may or may not be feasible. I also don't know if everyone currently on the
consortium would want to be on the distribution list for receiving entries
to enter into the database, but that's up to each individual - I would hope
only that at least enough of us are interested in doing this so that updating
the database becomes a managable exercise.

						Best regards,
						 - Anton.

     Hi!
        I've no problem in enter the updates, but I've not permissions for
        it...
        Other point is the incorrect locations of some links, in my opinion is
        necessary a revision of the complete database. For example in the 
        category Astronomy-related Libraries ther is a link to the
        Catania Astrophysical Observatory!!?? or in section Document Preparation
        Tools (TeX,etc) there is a link to La Palma - Issac Newton Group!!??
        Is there opinions about this subjet????

                                     Sergio   ;-)

PS: In this time I'm less active in AstroWeb and the Web because I'm 
     participating in a Summer School about Interacting Binaries in Mexico...

---

From: Jose Daniel Ponz VILSPA/VCS <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 1995 10:05:52 +0300 (CET-DST)

Dear friends,
   
Don writes:
  >                            ...if a consensus favoring it
  > exists in the Consortium. 

  I agree with the mechanism proposed by Anton, and would like to 
  participate in the manual updating of the database.

Sergio writes:
  > I've no problem in enter the updates, but I've not permissions for it...
   
  Once the volunteers are identified, the (simplified) database 
  update procedure should be distributed, including the password.

  >  Other point is the incorrect locations of some links, in my 
  >  opinion is necessary a revision of the complete database.   

  This is a very good point. I was planning to propose it after the complete 
  merging of the previous version of AstroWeb with WWW/VL. 

Best regards,
   Daniel Ponz

---

From: [email-masked] (Hans-Martin Adorf)
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 1995 15:57:21 +0200

Dear AstroWebbers,

Anton has made avalid point. I have collected URL change requests in a
special folder for months without doing anything with them due to a lack of
time. I have not even found the time to carry out my part of the AstroWb
and Virtual Library merge.

I see three possibilities:

1. Have volunteers to make the changes. I'm afraid that, while I should
like to continue adding to our database interesting URLs which I come
across, I cannot afford the time to manually add loads of URLs that others
submit, since the AstroWeb initiative was my private business and is not
part of my functional duties.

2. Make submission automatic, and perhaps occasionally go over the database
to control quality, or change entries which do not conform to the rest, or
alert the submitter to modify the entry.

3. Hand the maintenance of AstroWeb over to a central institute such as CDS.

Personally I'm in favour of solution 3.

Cheers
Hans-Martin