Subject: Re: Ready for Off-Prime Time

From: [email-masked] (anton koekemoer)
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 1995 10:26:13 +1100

Bob Jackson writes:

> Try out
> 	http://www.stsci.edu/astroweb/astroweb-cvs.html
> both with your normal user names
> and as 'anonymous' as well.

i've just tried it and it seems to work fine - ie anonymous submission
creates a file somewhere, while my 'proper' username still lets me add things
directly to the database. I even managed to do this from IAP in France (which
is where i'm physically at for the moment), which verifies that it's possible
to do a submission from a non-astroweb site.

no doubt you're still working on this, but the file that is created in
	http://www.stsci.edu/astroweb/incoming/
does not quite look exactly like the submission form; it would be useful to
have it look like that so that we can edit all the fields in the same way.
(just to make things a little more consistent with other entries sometimes).
Also.. would it be possible to automatically remove the files from 'incoming/'
after they are successfully added? (or move them automatically into a temporary
'trashcan' directory is probably safer). With multiple people adding things, a
feature like this would be extremely useful.

also:

Sergio A. Paoli writes:

> ...
> My preocupation is about the wrong categories in the submisions.
> ...

yes, i've also noticed that people sometimes tend to add 'astroweb' as a
category (for things that aren't even resource lists) and there are many other
examples too. There's clearly a difference in the way that people perceive the
categories. I don't know exactly what the problem is, perhaps there is not a
clear correspondance between all the categories and the page that the resource
will eventually end up on. Ideally, someone from outside should know which
page(s) they want to see their resource on, and then give it the appropriate
category(ies) so that it goes there. Maybe it's just something simple like
they don't bother checking what the secondary categories actually mean (which
is listed in the 'primary category' list).
I agree that this is a strong reason for checking all submitted resources by
hand before updating the database (eg i'd remove 'astroweb' from the category
list before submitting the resource..) Simply tidying up resources for the
sake of some sort of uniformity is another reason for editing them.

and Hans-Martin wrote:

> "My current workload and schedule constraints do not allow participating in
> the AstroWeb project on a level of activity comparable to that of the
> ealier days. So the question is: would you want me to drop out of the
> project, or would you prefer me to stay on, but with much reduced level of
> activity over the coming year?"
> How would you have reacted?

i'd prefer it if you stay on, and agree with Daniel (JDP) that since it is a
volunteer effort, it is only to be expected that other things often have to
take priority. As long as the database as a whole manages to keep going.

						cheers,
						 - anton.

---

From: Bob Jackson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 95 10:01:25 EST

There were some CVS problems over the weekend, which hopefully
have been fixed now, which may have been causing some strange
behavior.

When a submission is operated on it is removed from

	incoming

and ends up in either

	accept_submissions

or

	reject_submissions

subdirectories.

			Bob