Subject: Re: Change in submission procedures

From: [email-masked] (Anton Koekemoer)
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 96 21:27:04 +0100

Bob Jackson writes:
> I have changed the submission links at STScI ...
> I strongly recommend that you change your own pages accordingly.

-will finish doing this at MSO tonight as soon as the link comes back up again.

I very much like the fact that entries vanish from the www.stsci input area
when we add them to the database :)
I think that this mechanism is a good long-term solution for adding people's
contributions to Astroweb, therefore I'd endorse Bob's comment that, if nothing
else, we at least add the stsci input links to our pages as soon as possible.
- the "ADD" function on http://www.stsci.edu/astroweb/astroweb-cvs.html
works without any problems, however I've been having trouble using "MODIFY"
to change existing resources - when I finally click on "Perform Action" after
having made the changes, it comes back to me and says:
	AstroWeb Database Not Updated
	Error in domodify:update
	Resource was not modified.
earlier it told me another error:
	AstroWeb Database Not Updated
	Must explain why in Comments:
-I assume these are fixable.

Please note also that my email address has changed to:
	[email-masked]
which is current as of now. (the new postal address is appended to this email).
Don, could you please change this email addr in the astroweb email exploder(s)?

I've been on a postdoc position at IAP in France for a while, and likely to
remain here for some time still. I apologise for my decreased input during the
preceding few months, which have been rather chaotic.
The status of my Astroweb presentation is that I am leaving it at MSO, since a
number of people in Australia have expressed support for having a copy of the
database in Australia. I'm also continuing to maintain it there myself; I've
already been doing this for some time, since before I arrived in France, and
there are no technical problems - the scripts continue to run automatically
over surprisingly long timescales (ie months). The MSO presentation is still
recomputed on-site; in the mid-term future I'll change it so that I compute
the presentation locally (ie wherever I'm based) and make the MSO version a
pure mirror copy. This would be desirable, for example, if the computer
group at MSO were to eventually take over responsibility for presenting
the database, but not being committed to actively changing its presentation.
It would also make it easier for me to make changes to the scripts or the page
structure.
However, since I view my Astroweb involvement as an on-going collaboration,
I'll try to continue to provide input no matter where I'm based. If I settle
somewhere for a timescale of more than a couple of years I'll investigate
the option of making another official presentation; however this usually
involves some political decisions on the part of the affiliated institute,
and is therefore not worth doing if I am only to remain somewhere
for 1 or 2 years.
I suspect that for each of us the situation will probably be different if we
move institutes; in any case, the above is the situation as it stands with me.

						cheers,
						 -anton.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Institut d'Astrophysique de Paris                                           |
| 98bis, Boulevard Arago                            Tel:  +33  1  44 32 80 97 |
| 75014 Paris                                       Fax:  +33  1  44 32 80 01 |
| France                       Email:  [email-masked]   (Internet)          |
|                                WWW:  http://www.iap.fr/users/koekemoer.html |
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------