Subject: Potential Source of New Resources

From: Bob Jackson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 96 10:11:25 EST

A few weeks ago, I searched some of the WWW indices for words
like "Astronomy, Astronomical, Astrophysics, Astrophysical, Telescope,
Observatory" and got 5800 URL's.

After filtering against those already in AstroWeb, the results are:

	http://www.stsci.edu/astroweb/
		00_new_parents.html
		00_new_servers.html
		00_known_servers.html

Parent is an attempt to find entirely new sites.
The 'parent' of www.stsci.edu is 'stsci.edu'.

I have not looked at the actual URL's, so I don't have a
good feel for how useful this is yet.

				Bob

---

From: [email-masked] (Hans-Martin Adorf)
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 09:32:00 +0100

Bob,

in 00_new_parents.html:

http://www/dao.nrc.ca// is certainly a syntax error. The correct address
leads to the CADC.

http://193.63.77.1/ is Armagh Observatory which already is in AstroWeb.

gopher://141.161.94.1/11/science leads to
gopher://141.161.94.1:70/11/science/physics which contains
Internet Guides on Physics and Astronomy leading to
gopher://marvel.loc.gov:70/11/global/sci/astro/guides, a server which
returns no data

http://151.97.16.10/ leads to Catania Astrophysical Observatory whose server
has changed URL to  http://w3.ct.astro.it or http://www.ct.astro.it

Resulting small number statistics: 0 out of 4 URLs are new.

Well, AstroWeb may be not so bad after all.

Hans-Martin