Subject: Re: Literature

From: [email-masked] (Mark M Lacey)
Date: 21 Feb 91 05:31:32 GMT

[email-masked] (Gulbrandsen,Arnt) writes:

>Apparently, there isn't much literature available about
>data compression. I've only seen a book by Gilbert Held,
>which I thought was awful.

>Do anyone know of any better books?

Try the book by James Storer (sorry, I don't have ISBN or title or
anything).  It is good, and more up to date than most, but it treats
Compression in a very mathematical form, and doesn't have much in the
way of usuable/unique/new algorithms.  Just a classic treatment of a
classic subject.

I have been wondering myself why there are so few books on compression,
seeing that it has been studied for so long.  I did a search on
compression, and found 10 (!) books that were in print.  This is in
comparison to, say viruses, of which there were several hundred books in
print.

Your best bet is to chase after the various research papers in CACM,
JACM, SPE, etc...

I did a little research earlier in the year and found:
Application of Splay Trees to Data Compression
Douglas W. Jones
CACM, August 1988

Arithmetic Coding for Data Compression
Ian H. Witten, Radford M. Neal, and John G. Cleary
CACM, June 1987

Data Compression with Finite Windows
Edward R. Fiala and Daniel H. Greene
CACM, April 1989

Those are just the more interesting articles published in CACM in the
last 4 years.  Of course, each of these has dozens of references that
you could then check on.
--
Mark M. Lacey
([email-masked])