Subject: Re: Literature

From: [email-masked] (Wall)
Date: 22 Feb 91 04:09:20 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] writes:
>Apparently, there isn't much literature available about
>data compression. I've only seen a book by Gilbert Held,
>which I thought was awful.
>
>Do anyone know of any better books?
>
>Thanks,
>Arnt Gulbrandsen
>University of Trondheim, Norway
>[email-masked]

The book by Held is fairly old, and I agree that it is not too good (seems
like it covered mostly Huffman codes).  A couple of recent books that are
LOTS better:

   James Storer, _Data_Compression:__Methods_and_Theory_ , Computer Science
      Press, 1988

   Timothy C. Bell, John G. Cleary, Ian H. Witten, _Text_Compression_,
      Prentice Hall Advanced Reference Series, 1990

Both books are pretty good.  Storer has more discussion on Lempel-Ziv
variants, while Bell et. al. has a good discussion of arithmetic coding
(they did a lot of work in this field).

These are the only two that I have seen, but both are worth having if you
want to get into compression.

--
=============================================================================
  [email-masked]  (Bob Wall,  CS and/or EE grad student)
  "It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine!" - R.E.M.