Subject: Compression sources listing

From: [email-masked] (David Lemson)
Date: 26 Mar 91 20:43:19 GMT

Here is a listing that I maintain.  Feel free to comment, etc.  I do
not get alt.comp.compression, so please mail me!

The most recent copy of this text may be anonymous ftp'd from
ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (128.174.5.59) in the directory doc/pcnet.
This file is maintained by David Lemson ([email-masked]).
Please do not strip this note from this list when passing it on.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DECODING THIS CHART: This chart has been compacted to fit into 80 columns
so it can be viewed on-line. The first column is the name of the compression/
archiving technique. The next field is the file extension given to the 
resulting file. After that are 5 columns each for a different operating system.
Each one of these consists of the name of the file/program to undo the given
compression/archiving style and a letter that tells where the file/program may
be obtained. All symbols and letters are decoded at the bottom portion of this
file. 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FILE COMPRESSION, ARCHIVING, AND TEXT<->BINARY FORMATS

Last Update: 3/26/91           Operating System/Unpackaging Program

NAME    File     DOS      *   Mac         *   Unix   *   VM/CMS  *  Amiga    *
      Extension
abe       ?  abe.exe      N      -          abe      Q      -          -
afio      -      -               -          afio     ?      -          -
ar      (any)    -               -          ar       L      -          -
ARC     .ARC arc600.exe   + ArcMac1.3c    A arc521   B  arcutil  K Arc 0.23  Aa
ARJ     .ARJ arj100.zip   B      -              -           -          -
BinHex  .Hqx xbin23.zip   B BinHex5.0     A mcvert   D  binhex   K     -
binscii   *      -               -              -           -          -
BLU       ?      -               -              -           -          -
BOO     .BOO msbpct.exe   G      ?        ?     -           -          -
             msbmkb.exe
btoa    (any)btoa         N      -          btoa     L      -      compress  Ab
Bundle  .bndl    -          Bundle        E     -           -          -
CardDump(any)    -               -              -       card     K     -
compact .C       -               -          compact  L      -          -
Compac-
tor      .cpt    -          Compactor1.21 D     -           -          - 
compress.Z   u16.zip      A MacCompress3.2A compress L  compress K compress  Ac
             comp430d.zip B
cpio      ?  pax2exe.zip  H      -              ?    ?      -          -
Crunch    ?      -               -              -       arcutil  K     -
Disk-
Doubler   ?      -          DiskDoubler   ?     -           -          -
DWC     .DWC dwc-a501.exe B      -              -           -          -
FPack   (any)    ?        ? FPack2.2      A     ?    ?      -          -
HPACK   .HPK     ?        *      ?        *     ?    *      ?    *     ?     *
HYPER   .HYP hyper25.zip  B      -              -           -          -
Larc    .LZS larc333.zip  B      -              -           -          -
LHA     .LZH lha211.zip   B      -              -           -          -
LHarc   .LZH lh113c.exe   H MacLHarc 0.41 D lharc10  I      -      LHarc     Ad
LHWarp  .LZW     -               -              -           -      Lhwarp    Ae
LU (LAR).LBR lue220.arc   B      -          lar      ?  arcutil  K     -
LZari     ?      -          MacLZAri 7-11 ?     -           -          -
LZEXE   .EXE lzexe91.zip  A      -              -           -          -
LZSS    .lzss    ?        ? LZSS 2.0b5    ?     -           -          -
MDCD    .MD  mdcd10.arc   B      -              -           -          -
nupack    ?      -               -              -           -          -
PackIt  .pit UnPackIt     ? PackIt3.1.3   A unpit    ?      -          -
PAK     .PAK pak250.exe   H      ?        ? arc521   I      -          -
PKLITE  .EXE pklte103.exe B      -              -           -          -
PKPAK   .ARC pk361.exe    A ArcMac1.3c    A arc521   I  arcutil  K PKAX      ?
PKZIP   .ZIP pkz110eu.exe B UnZip1.02c    D unzip401 B      -      PKAZip    Af
Power-
Packer  (any)    -               -              -           -    PowerPacker Ai
Scrunch .COM scrnch.arc   B      -              -           -          -
shell - .shar
archive      unshar.arc   I UnShar2.0     D shar     L      -      UnShar    Ag
shrinkit.shk     -               -              -           -          -
Shrink-
ToFit   .stf     -          STF1.2        ?     -           -          -
SPL       ?      -               ?        ?     -           -          -
Squash  .ARC squash.arc   B      -              -           -          -
Squeeze .xQx sqpc131.arc  B      ?        ?     ?    ?  arcutil  K Sq.Usq    Ah
StuffIt .Sit mactopc. ?   ? StuffIt 1.6   D unsit    D      -          -
tar     .tar tar.zip      A UnTar2.0      D tar      L      -      TarSplit  Ai
             tarread.arc  I
             pax.zoo      J
             pdtar.exe    C
terse   (any)terse.exe    K      -              -       terse    K     -
uuencode.UUE toaduu20.zip B UMCP-Tools1.0 ? uuencode L  arcutil  K uudecode  Aj
Warp    .WRP     -               -              -           -      WarpUtil  Ak
xxencode.XXE toaduu20.zip B      -          xxencode A  xxencode K     -
ZOO     .ZOO zoo201.exe   A MacBooz2.1    D zoo201   B  zoo      K amigazoo  A

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Extended Chart:
                VMS       *    Apple 2    *   Atari     *    OS/2   *  Windows3 

abe       ?      -               -              -              -          -
afio      -      -               -              -              -          -
ar      (any)    -               -              -              -          -
ARC     .arc arcvms.uue   B dearc.bsq.Z   B arc521b.arc R  arc2.arc A     -
ARJ     .ARJ     -               -              -              -          -
BinHex  .Hqx     -               -              -              -          -
binscii   *      -          binscii.exe   O     -              -          -
BLU       ?      -               ?              -              -          -
BOO     .BOO     -               -              -              -          -
btoa    (any)    -               -              -              -          -
Bundle  .bndl    -               -              -              -          -
CardDump(any)    -               -              -              -          -
compact .C       -               -              -              -          -
Compac-
tor      .cpt    -               -              -              -          - 
compress.Z   lzcomp.exe   P compress.shk  J compress.arc R     -          -
cpio      ?      -               -              -              -          -
Crunch    ?      -               -              -              -          -
Disk-
Doubler   ?      -               -              -              -          -
DWC     .DWC     -               -              -              -          -
FPack   (any)    -               -              -              -          -
HPACK   .HPK     ?        *      ?        *     ?    *         ?    *     ?    *
HYPER   .HYP     -               -              -              -          -
Larc    .LZS     -               -              -              -          -
LHarc   .LZH     -               -          lharc113.arc R  clhar103  S   -
LHWarp  .LZW     -               -              -              -          -
LU(LAR) .LBR vmssweep     B      -              -              -          -
LZari     ?      -               -              -              -          -
LZEXE   .EXE     -               -              -              -          -
LZSS    .lzss    -               -              -              -          -
MDCD    .MD      -               -              -              -          -
nupack    ?      -          nupack        B     -              -          -
PackIt  .pit     -               -              -              -          -
PAK     .PAK     -               -              -              -          -
PKPAK   .ARC     -               -          pkunarc.arc R      -          -
PKZIP   .ZIP     -               -              -        pkz101-2.exe A   -
Power-
Packer  (any)    -               -              -              -          -
Scrunch .COM     -               -              -              -          -
shell-
archive .shar    -          unshar.shk    J shar.arc    R      -          -
shrinkit.shk     -               ?        O     -              -          -
Shrink-
ToFit   .stf     -               -              -              -          -
SPL       ?      -               -              -              -          -
Squash  .ARC     -               -              -              -          -
Squeeze   ?  vmsusq.pas   B      -          ezsqueeze.arc R    -          -
StuffIt .Sit     -               -              -              -          -
tar     .tar vmstar       Q      -          sttar.arc   R      -          -
terse   (any)    -               -              -              -          -
uuencode.uue uudecode2.vmsB uu.en.decode  J     -              -          -
Warp    .WRP     -               -              -              -          -
xxencode.XXE     -               -              -              -          -
ZOO     .ZOO z201src1.arc B      -          booz.arc    R  booz.exe  A    -
             z201src2.arc

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WHERE TO GET THEM:
   A. ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
	          /pub/pc/exec-pc/
		  /pc/local
                  /mac/
                  /amiga/fish/(see individual references ---v)

      a ff070  b ff051  c ff051  d ff312  e ff305  f ff311  g ff345
      h ff051  i ff053  j ff092  k ff243  i ff253

   B. wuarchive.wustl.edu (NFS mounted on uxa and mrcnext)
         /mirrors/msdos/arc-lbr/
                       /filutl/
		       /sq-usq/
                       /mac/
                 /info-mac/util/
                 /unix-c/arc-progs/
                 /misc/vaxvms/

   C. omnigate.clarkson.edu
         /pub/ncsa2.2tn/

   D. sumex-aim.stanford.edu 
         /info-mac/util/
		  /unix/ {unsit, mcvert}

   E. uunet.uu.net
         /pub/

   F. grape.ecs.clarkson.edu 
        - see the file 'allfiles'

   G. watsun.cc.columbia.edu
         /kermit/a/

   H. wsmr-simtel20.army.mil
         cd pd1:<msdos.arc-lbr>

   I. pc.usl.edu
         /pub/unix/

   J. plains.nodak.edu
         /pub/appleII/GS/utils/
                     /nonGS/packers/

   K. vmd.cso.uiuc.edu
      binhex - cd public.474
      card   - cd public.460
      others - cd public.477

   L. (should be available on all major unix systems including
	wuarchive.wustl.edu in /unix-c/arc-progs)

   M. comp.sources.unix archives
         (varies, including wuarchive in /usenet/comp.sources.unix)

   N. comp.binaries.ibm.pc archives
         (varies, including wuarchive in /usenet/comp.binaries.ibm.pc)

   O. tybalt.caltech.edu
         /pub/apple2/
                    /shrinkits/

   P. kuhub.cc.ukans.edu
         /LZW/ 

   Q. vmsa.oac.uci.edu
         /

   R. terminator.cc.umich.edu
         /atari/archivers/

   S. mtsg.ubc.ca
        /os2

NOTES:
Symbols: +   means see the notes below for special information
         -   means that nothing exists to the best of my knowledge
         ?   means that something exists but I do not know the name
             of the program or where to get it
         *   means that e-mail should be sent to [email-masked]
             for details/explanation

Some uuencode/uudecode programs are able to read xxencode files.

When using tar.exe for PC's, the order of option flags is important.
For extraction, use tar -tvf <filename>.

ARC : From SEA, ARC 6.00 is the latest widespread shareware release.
      It is available at A (ux1.cso.uiuc.edu).
      ARC 6.02 exists, but no changes were made in the documentation
      thus its listing will not be updated until the next major revision.
      Also, SEA has ARC 7.00, but it is commercial, not shareware.
      
When using binscii.exe for an Apple II, there are different file extensions
depending on the type of file being changed.

The files listed are only guaranteed to uncompress/unarchive.
To make a compression/archive, further software may be needed.

USAGE NOTES:

There are certain "standard" combinations of compression used:
  unix - .tar.Z
         (often this will be .taz for PC's)
  mac  - .sit.hqx
       - these must be undone in order starting at the end of the name

Sometimes an archive may be self-extracting. These will look like normal
executable programs. Simply run them to undo the archive.

LZEXE (PC), PKLITE(PC), and PowerPacker(Amiga) are executable compressors.
They compress an executable file and attach an uncompressing header so that
the file can still be executed while in compressed form.

DEFINITIVE SOURCES:

   BOO - watsun.cc.columbia.edu

   PKWARE Support BBS - avaliable 24 hours
     (414) 352-7176

   ZOO - author: Rahul Dhesi
         source code in C on Usenet and GEnie's IBM PC Roundtable

   ARC - SEA (System Enhancement Associates, Inc.)
         21 New Street
         Wayne, NJ 07470
-- 
David Lemson    U of Illinois Computing Services Student Consultant
Internet : [email-masked] UUCP :...!uiucuxc!uiucux1!lemson