Subject: SUMMARY: compression refs (again?)

From: [email-masked] (Carlo Tiana)
Date: 27 Jun 91 01:06:35 GMT

I posted an article a while back asking for references about data compression.
I have since gotten a lot of requests for my findings, after I thought I posted
a summary. In case you didn't see the summary, here are my findings again.

Carlo.

---- begin summary

For those of you reading comp.graphics:
Many people pointed me to comp.compression, which seems like a good place
to keep one's ears to the ground.

I found the book:
Digital Pictures - Netravali and Haskell - Plenum Press 1989
a very useful reference on this and other topics interesting to me.

One or more people mentioned one or more of the following references:

"Text Compression" by Bell, Cleary, and Witten - survey of lossless algorithms.
"Data Compression" by James Storer
"Adaptive Data Compression" by Ross Williams.
At least the first two of these (the third is too expensive for me) have
many references to the original research (often published in Communications 
of the ACM, IEEE Transactions of Communications, IEEE Trans of Information
Theory, IEEE Computer, etc)

For general surveys of text compression methods, try Computing
Surveys Sep. 87 (v19#3) and Dec. 89 (v21#4).  The Surveys articles
contain extensive bibliographies.

The latest copy of Computer Graphics, volume 25, number 2, April 1991; a 
publication of ACM SIGGRAPH, contains a paper by Wayne E. Carlson from
Ohio State University that is titled "A Survey of Computer Graphics Image 
Encoding and Storage Formats".  It looks like a good place to start.

----- end summary

Many thanks to:

From: Adrian J Ho <[email-masked]>
From: Rob Elliott <[email-masked]>
From: [email-masked] (John R. Levine)
From: [email-masked] (Yep)
From: [email-masked] (Tom Lane)
From: [email-masked] (Jerry Huff)
From: [email-masked]

and others whose suggestions might still be on their way!

--
[email-masked]      |
[email-masked]     |    We always remember you have a choice.
[email-masked]    |