Subject: Re: Best Compression Algor...?

From: [email-masked] (Nico E de Vries)
Date: 5 Sep 92 15:31:32 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Carlin Wiegner) writes:

>BTW, I've been wondering what the best compression algol is...
>For normal OS use that is.... Arcing (PC),Compactor (Mac),
>TAR(UNIX)??? Please email me a reply if there is one....
>CW

"Best" is a subjective term. ARJ 2.3 and ZIP 1.9 are currently state of the
art in usefull general purpose compression (fast & compact) (LHA being
third at a small distance). ZIP 1.9 is available for very much platforms.

For optimal compression (max ratio) the best available compressor is
the Ashford compressor. The best existing seems to be the SAKDC 
(Swich Army Knife Data Compressor) but that is not publically available.

The fastest compressor is copy :-). Second place is the Finish submission 
to the Dr Dobbs compression contest. Third place is for the excelent LZRW
compression family.

For more information, availability of sources, locations etc see the
comp.compression FAQ.

>Carlin E. Wiegner    

Nico E. de Vries
_ _
O O  USENET [email-masked]  FIDO 2:281/708.1  COMPUSERVE "soon" ???? 
 o   This text reflects MY opinions, not that of my employer BITECH.      
\_/  This text is supplied 'AS IS', no waranties of any kind apply.      
     Don't waste your time on complaining about my hopeless typostyle.

"I would admit my mistakes, if I had any ..."  (Bumper Sticker)