Subject: Re: silly question:hqx compressed files

From: Poon Jacob Tin Hang <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 1994 15:19:16 GMT

On 27 Nov 1994, Gerald Lee wrote:

> I just downloaded a file w/ the extension .hqx from a friendly ftp site,
> but I am unable to figure what program I need to decomp it.  I looked
> through some grps and a couple FAQ's but, there's no mention of .hqx.
> Is it new?  What will I need to expand it, and where should I look for
> the appropriate program?  Thanks much in advance!
>
>
> --
> ------------------------------------------------------------
> Gerald Lee "sleep and jumbo frets...the best!" > [email-masked]
> ------------------------------------------------------------
>
>
The .hqx file belongs to an application called BinHex 4.0 origially 
created in Mac platform years ago.  It is NOT a compression, but it is an 
encoding program like uuencode.  To extract .hqx files, you need a file
named binhex13.zip (which can also create .hqx files) available in
/pub/msdos/mac directory in oak.oaklad.edu ftp site.