Subject: Re: GZIP file format

From: [email-masked] (Cave Newt)
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 1994 06:22:53 GMT

[email-masked] (Mark Phillips) writes:

>I have an application (running under DOS) which generates large 
>files and I wish to compress them to the PKZIP format on-line, that is, 
>as they are created, so that they may be transfered and decompressed on
>a UNIX platform with PKUNZIP at a later date.
>
>Is it possible to obtain the PKZIP file format specification (including
>a specification of the variant of the Lempel Zif compression algorithm 
>PKZIP uses ) or, better still, the source code for PKZIP ? Obviously,
>I am prepared to pay a reasonable fee for the latter.

Obviously you're a bit confused here (gzip has almost nothing to do with
PKZIP/Zip), but free source for zip/unzip is available from ftp.uu.net in
/pub/archiving/zip.  If you build the source code into your app you might
be able to pull this off, but anything running under DOS has a huge strike
against it already.  Forget about "pipes," unless you're running in a DOS
box under OS/2 and incorporate the named variety...

Greg Roelofs
Info-ZIP