Subject: Email exploder 'dishfits' now uses Majordomo

From: Don Wells <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 1996 17:27:21 -0500 (EST)

Dear dishfits subscribers, (and readers of adass.fits.dishfits)

The Email exploder [email-masked]', which has a bi-directional
gateway to newsgroup adass.fits.dishfits, is now using the Majordomo
mailing list software, executing on host majordomo.cv.nrao.edu (an
alias for tarsier.cv.nrao.edu, also known as linux.nrao.edu).

This change has been made in order to control the flow of improper
traffic from newsgroup adass.fits.dishfits into dishfits. For example,
on about 12-Feb, an inappropriate message (a non-astronomy color
digital image) was posted to adass.fits.dishfits by Colman Andrews
<[email-masked]>.  The posting was cancelled in the newsgroup (so
many readers never saw it), but not before it found its way to the
dishfits exploder. With the new configuration, all postings to
dishfits, either from its subscribers or via the gateway from
adass.fits.dishfits, will be passed to a moderator for approval.
Currently I am acting as moderator; we expect that Bob Garwood will
replace me soon.  We expect to enable automatic posting by dishfits
subscribers soon.

Subscribers to dishfits should continue to send their postings to
[email-masked]' or to [email-masked]'. 

Requests to subscribe or unsubscribe should be sent to
[email-masked] (or to the old address
[email-masked]), with a line in the body of the message
containing the command, such as

    unsubscribe dishfits

All such requests will be forwarded to the moderator for approval.

I append the help message from Majordomo. Note that the command set
for Majordomo is similar (but not identical) to that for
LISTSERV. Dishfits (adass.fits.dishfits) traffic is being archived in
files maintained by Majordomo, and can be retrieved via Email using
the commands documented below. We expect to resume archiving on host
fits.cv.nrao.edu soon.

I am grateful to Jeff Uphoff for implementing this new technology for
dishfits. 

-Don

  Donald C. Wells         Associate Scientist         [email-masked]
                    http://fits.cv.nrao.edu/~dwells
  National Radio Astronomy Observatory                +1-804-296-0277
  520 Edgemont Road,   Charlottesville, Virginia       22903-2475 USA

>>>> help
This is Brent Chapman's "Majordomo" mailing list manager, version 1.93. 

In the description below items contained in []'s are optional. When
providing the item, do not include the []'s around it.

It understands the following commands:

    subscribe <list> [<address>]
	Subscribe yourself (or <address> if specified) to the named <list>.

    unsubscribe <list> [<address>]
	Unsubscribe yourself (or <address> if specified) from the named <list>.

    get <list> <filename>
        Get a file related to <list>.

    index <list>
        Return an index of files you can "get" for <list>.

    which [<address>]
	Find out which lists you (or <address> if specified) are on.

    who <list>
	Find out who is on the named <list>.

    info <list>
	Retrieve the general introductory information for the named <list>.

    lists
	Show the lists served by this Majordomo server.

    help
	Retrieve this message.

    end
	Stop processing commands (useful if your mailer adds a signature).

Commands should be sent in the body of an email message to
"[email-masked]".

Commands in the "Subject:" line NOT processed.

If you have any questions or problems, please contact
"[email-masked]".