Subject: Re: FITS standards

From: dwells at fits.cx.nrao.edu (Don Wells)
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 1991 02:29:05 GMT

In article <1991Aug9.233702.5948 at qiclab.scn.rain.com>
leonard at qiclab.scn.rain.com (Leonard Erickson) writes:

   I have a somewhat naive question. Where can I get "the" description
   of the FITS format? I've got a couple of FITS files from sci.astro, and
   if I have to write a display program, I'd like it to be smart enough to 
   handle any image my display can. (note that I'm using Messy-DOS and
   have no FTP capability...)

FITS documents are available in various anonymous-FTP servers, e.g.
fits.cx.nrao.edu [192.33.115.8] (directory /FITS/docs) and
nssdca.gsfc.nasa.gov.  I don't know of any mechanism by which a UUCP
user can fetch files from anonFTP servers. I will Email the documents
to you if you wish.

-Don
--

Donald C. Wells             Associate Scientist        dwells at nrao.edu
National Radio Astronomy Observatory                   +1-804-296-0277
Edgemont Road                                     Fax= +1-804-296-0278
Charlottesville, Virginia 22903-2475 USA            78:31.1W, 38:02.2N