Subject: VLBA_format.ps available

From: dwells at azalea.cx.nrao.edu (Don Wells)
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1992 17:50:26 GMT

The anonymous-FTP archive on fits.cx.nrao.edu [192.33.115.8] now
contains the 318_KB Postscipt file /FITS/Documents/VLBA_format.ps.

This document describes the syntax and semantics of the set of
BINTABLE extensionss which the VLBA will use to convey results from
the Correlator to AIPS and to other data analysis ("post-processing"
in radio-speak) packages. Radio astronomers may want to take a look at
it to see how BINTABLE will be used to replace the older Random Groups
extension to FITS. Please note that this document is a *draft*; it has
been under development for more than a year, and is still being
modified.  It shows the current state of negotiation (and debugging)
of the software interface between the VLBA Correlator and AIPS1.

I think it would be a "good thing" if the archive contained analogous
documents for other telescopes.
--

Donald C. Wells             Associate Scientist        dwells at nrao.edu
National Radio Astronomy Observatory                   +1-804-296-0277
520 Edgemont Road                                 Fax= +1-804-296-0278
Charlottesville, Virginia 22903-2475 USA            78:31.1W, 38:02.2N