Subject: NOST FITS User's Guide new version 3.0

From: bschlesinger at nssdca.gsfc.nasa.gov (Barry Schlesinger)
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1993 14:07:00 GMT

Version 3.0 of the NOST FITS User's Guide is now available.  It 
describes binary tables as defined in the proposed BINTABLE extension, 
as opposed to the preliminary NRAO A3DTABLE proposal that was
discussed in version 2.  The discussion of new extension proposals has
been brought up to date.  A new section has been added on World
Coordinates, based primarily on the Wells and Hanisch proposal and
AIPS memos 27 and 46; among its contents are the CD matrix proposal
and an outline of projections from the celestial sphere to the data
array plane.  The section on network resources has been greatly 
expanded.  Changes and additions have been made throughout the text.

Version 3.0 is currently available in printed form only.  Steps are
under way toward producing an electronic version.  The initial process
will be to try to capture the PostScript file, but the goal is to
eventually have the Guide available in the same three forms as the
Standard: LaTeX, PostScript and flat ASCII.  Suggestions on how to
expedite this process are welcome.  The native format is Microsoft
Word on Macintosh. 

A copy of version 3.0 will be sent to all who were sent a copy of 
version 2.0.  Others may obtain a copy from the NOST librarian.  The 
contact points are the following:

(Postal) NASA/OSSA Office of Standards and Technology
	 Code 633.2
	 Goddard Space Flight Center
	 Greenbelt MD 20771
	 USA

(Internet) nost at nssdca.gsfc.nasa.gov
(DECnet) NCF::NOST

Telephone: +1-301-286-3575 8 a. m. - 5 p. m., U. S. Eastern Time
	If the Librarian is unavailable, a phone mail system takes the
call after four rings. 

					Barry M. Schlesinger
					Coordinator,
					NASA/NSSDC
					NOST FITS Support Office
		
+1-301-513-1634				fits at nssdca.gsfc.nasa.gov
					NCF::FITS