Subject: Annotation capability (was Re: the "archival" issue)

From: dwells at fits.CV.NRAO.EDU (Don Wells)
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1993 12:46:02 GMT

In article <warnock.745534525 at Hypatia> warnock at Hypatia.gsfc.nasa.gov
(Archie Warnock) writes: "... I think you'd need to look at some of
the annotation and other capabilities of HDF before you make the case
that FITS is anything close to ideal.."

Archie, please tell us about annotation and other HDF features that
may be lacking in present FITS practice. What is annotation, how does
it work, what does it do?
--

  Donald C. Wells           Associate Scientist       dwells at nrao.edu
  National Radio Astronomy Observatory                +1-804-296-0277
  520 Edgemont Road                              Fax= +1-804-296-0278
  Charlottesville, Virginia 22903-2475 USA         78:31.1W, 38:02.2N

---

From: warnock at Hypatia.gsfc.nasa.gov (Archie Warnock)
Date: 18 Aug 93 15:20:47 GMT

>it work, what does it do?

Will do, but it's going to take a couple of days before I get time to
root through my HDF documentation.  Obviously, it's critical to identify
capabilities that exist in other formats that aren't supported in FITS
so that we can address the issue of format conversion.

--
_______________________________________________________________________
-- Archie Warnock              Internet:  warnock at hypatia.gsfc.nasa.gov
-- Hughes STX                  "Unix --- JCL For The 90s"
-- NASA/GSFC                   Project STELAR: WAIS to do science