Subject: The ADS Abstract Service

From: ADS User Support <ads at cuads.Colorado.EDU>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 93 18:36:23 -0600

NOTE: We apologize if you have already received this message.

   Dear Colleague,

   We are pleased to announce the availability of the ADS Abstract Service
   for use by non-US users.  To make use of this service, however, those
   users must make a patch update to their ADS installation (see the
   Installation Instructions below).  Also, to help ensure the continued
   availability of the Abstract service outside the US, it would be
   worthwhile if you would also review the following Background
   Information.

   If you have non-US colleagues who would benefit from this or other ADS
   services, please pass this notice on to them or suggest that they contact

			   ADS User Support
			   ads at cuads.colorado.edu
			   (303) 492-0466

							    Sincerely,
							    ADS Operations

   Background Information
   ----------------------
   The Astrophysics Data System (ADS) project has reached an agreement
   with NASA regarding the distribution of the abstracts to non-US users.
   The existing ADS Abstract Service provides access to over 125,000
   abstracts written by NASA RECON (and provided by the NASA Scientific
   and Technical Information Program) describing the articles appearing in
   all major astronomical journals.

   According to the new agreement with NASA, we will make the Abstract
   Service available to non-US users for a period of 6 months.  During
   this time we will gather statistics concerning usage patterns by non-US
   users.  NASA will review these and will then either:

	    Keep the abstracts open to all users,

	    Place restrictions or requirements for compensation
	    on some or all users/institutions, or

	    Discontinue the distribution to non-US users.

   Compensation would probably be in the form of requiring articles and
   publications to be submitted to the NASA Aerospace Database and made
   available to the aerospace research community.

   Since the NASA archives depend on such contributions, NASA encourages
   voluntary contributions from users/institutions of archival
   material.  If you have reports, journals or journal articles,
   conference papers or proceedings or any other form of scientific or
   technical information to contribute to NASA please
   contact:

	      Glen Hoetker
	      NASA Scientific and Technical Information Program
	      1213 Jefferson Davis Highway
	      Suite 1200
	      Arlington, VA 22202

	      Tel: (703) 685-1350
	      Fax: (703) 271-5669

	      ghoetker at sti.nasa.gov

   Please mention in your contact that this is in return for the use of
   the ADS abstract service.  Such contributions would make it much more
   likely that the first option above is the one chosen.

   If you have any questions or comments about this service and its 
   availability, please contact:

	      Dr. Guenther Eichhorn
	      Project Manager
	      Astrophysics Data System
	      (617) 495-7260
	      gei at cfa.harvard.edu

   Installation Instructions
   -------------------------
   All non-US users must update their ADS installations in order to
   make use of the Abstract service.

   Complete the following steps to update the Abstract service in your
   local installation of the ADS.  Note: If your installation requires
   super-user privileges you may need to contact your system
   administrator.

   1. Ensure that you are currently using ADS version 3.20.  If you
      are currently using an earlier version of the ADS you will have to
      upgrade the entire installation to take advantage of the Abstract
      service.  Check the file $ADS/ReleaseNotes.ADS if you do not know
      which version of the ADS you are running.

   2. Change directory to $ADS/ads_lib.
    
      > cd $ADS/ads_lib <return>

   3. Pick up the new Abstract service files from the authenticated
      ftp site at IPAC.  Be sure to use your ADS login and password when
      logging into the authenticated ftp directory at IPAC.  

	% ftp
	ftp> open adsftp.ipac.caltech.edu 10011

	[connection information ...]

	Name (adsftp.ipac.caltech.edu:[LOGNAME]): [ads_logname]
	331 Password required for [ads_logname].
	Password: [ads_password]
	230 User [ads_logname] logged in.
	ftp> binary
	ftp> cd basic_system/ads320/patch
	ftp> get README.Abstract_Update             (This File)
	ftp> get xads_abs
	ftp> quit

	[Note: If you are not running a name resolver at your site
	you will need to use "134.4.10.102 10011" in place of
	"adsftp.ipac.caltech.edu 10011".  However, this address is
	subject to change without prior notice and you are strongly
	advised to use or install a name resolver.]

   4. Start the ADS and try to submit a query to the Abstract
      service.  You may use the Abstract examples in the first ADS
      science scenario to help you get started.  If you no longer have
      this scenario, you may pick it up via anonymous ftp using the
      following steps.

	% ftp cuads.colorado.edu
	Connected to cuads.colorado.edu.
	220 cuads FTP server (ULTRIX Version 4.1 Tue Mar 19 00:38:17 EST 1991)
	ready.
	Name (cuads.colorado.edu:[LOGNAME]): anonymous
	331 Guest login ok, send ident as password.
	Password: [LOGNAME]
	230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
	ftp> cd pub/ads
	ftp> get ADS_scenario1
	ftp> quit
	   
   If you have any problems or questions, you may contact ADS User Support at:

			      ads at cuads.colorado.edu
					or
				 (303) 492-0466