Subject: FITS User's Guide available in PostScript

From: bschlesinger at nssdca.gsfc.nasa.gov (BARRY M. SCHLESINGER)
Date: 17 Aug 1993 14:00 EDT

An experimental PostScript copy of the User's Guide for FITS,
commissioned by NASA Headquarters and maintained by the NOST FITS
Support Office, has been added to the anonymous ftp files in the FITS
directory at nssdca.gsfc.nasa.gov.  This version of the User's Guide
(3.0) is the one that has been available in printed form since
January 1993.  The User's Guide is designed as a comprehensive
introduction to FITS, providing, in addition to the basic rules, FITS
background and history, recommended practices and hints for FITS use,
and discussions of current directions of development.  The style is
deliberately conversational, in contrast to the NOST Standard's
precise rulebook formality. 
	This PostScript file was generated by capturing the Macintosh
MS Word original in PostScript format.  Reports received by the FITS
office are that it has successfully printed from both VAX and Sun
computers, on HP Laserjet printers (IIIsi) and Sun printers.  Numerous
other retrievals have been made without any printing problems
reported, although a ghostwriter previewer could not deal with certain
fonts.  However, because of the well-known problems in converting
Macintosh Word to PostScript, universal portability cannot be
guaranteed. Please notify the FITS Support Office by electronic mail
of any problems. 

				Barry Schlesinger
				NSSDC/NOST FITS Support Office
				
				(Internet) fits at nssdca.gsfc.nasa.gov 
				(DECnet)   NCF::FITS 

				+1-301-513-1634