Subject: Re: FITS browsers for PC

From: leb at Hypatia.gsfc.nasa.gov (Lee E. Brotzman)
Date: 30 Oct 93 00:56:48 GMT

jansen at onyx.astro.wisc.edu (Stephan Jansen) writes:
>I work in a small astronomy library that is trying to provide access to
>astronomical catalogs on CD-ROM.  So I'm looking for recommendations on
>FITS browsers for the PC, with information on what they display: images,
>tables, etc.  The only one I've seen is imdisp 7.9.  Recommendations?

>Dave Wuolu -- Woodman Astronomical Library -- astrolib at madraf.astro.wisc.edu
>--

>-Stephan
>jansen at uwast.astro.wisc.edu

The National Space Science Data Center at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
provides a little tool for browsing through the FITS ASCII tables on the
Astronomical Data Center CD-ROM, Selected Astronomical Catalogs, Volume I, a
collection of 114 of the most popular and scientifically useful astronomical
catalogs in the ADC archives.

It is called the ADC FITS Table Browser and is available by anonymous FTP
from hypatia.gsfc.nasa.gov (IP address 128.183.101.54) in directory
/pub/software/ftb.  The program uses the curses screen management library and
runs under MS-DOS and Unix.

There will be a new minor release of FTB soon.  I have been notified of a few
bugs and fixed them, but would like to take some more time in testing.
Notification of bug fixes and new releases are announced in the Astronomical
Data Center Electronic Newsletter, a quarterly journal of the ADC distributed
by electronic mail.  To subscribe to the ADC E-News, send E-mail to
"listserv at hypatia.gsfc.nasa.gov" and in the body of the mail message (not the
subject line) put _only_ the following command:

	SUBSCRIBE ADCNEWS <Your Name>

where <Your Name> is your full name, not your E-mail address (LISTSERV can
figure out the return address itself).

I am currently evaluating libraries that allow GUI development for both
Microsoft Windows, the X Window system, and (possibly) DOS.  My intent is to
provide a GUI interface to FTB that is source-code compatible with both MS
Windows and X.  Right now, I'm looking at the Simple User Interface Toolkit
(SUIT) and mxWindows.  If anyone has a suggestion for a public domain library
that fills the bill, please send me E-mail (let's not clutter up sci.astro.fits
with GUI talk).
--
-- Lee E. Brotzman                    Internet:  leb at nssdca.gsfc.nasa.gov
-- Hughes STX, NSSDC                  DECNET:    NSSDCA::BROTZMAN
-- NASA Goddard Space Flight Center   BITNET:    ZMLEB at GIBBS

---

From: leb at Hypatia.gsfc.nasa.gov (Lee E. Brotzman)
Date: 31 Oct 93 00:15:29 GMT

>-- Lee E. Brotzman                    Internet:  leb at nssdca.gsfc.nasa.gov
                                                  ^^^ <--- wrong

It would be more useful if I gave the correct E-mail address, wouldn't it?
See my corrected .signature below.  Sorry about that.

--
-- Lee E. Brotzman                    Internet:  brotzman at nssdca.gsfc.nasa.gov
-- Hughes STX, NSSDC                  DECNET:    NSSDCA::BROTZMAN
-- NASA Goddard Space Flight Center   BITNET:    ZMLEB at GIBBS