Subject: Exabyte tapes and VAXStations

From: marcos at embezzle.stanford.edu (Marcos J.J. Montes)
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 93 17:32:32 GMT

Thanks to all of those people who sent replies to my post: Lucio Chiapetti,
Dave Wells and Doug Tody. They were all informative and included some good
suggestions. It turns out that as far as I can tell (like the mtio (4) man page),
the device drivers for SCSI tapes on VAX systems only handle 
block sizes <= 16Kbytes. I was NOT able to find a quick software fix (cp, cat, 
and other programs run up against the device driver maximum block size, too, 
so you always miss some of the data), so the best solution given time constraints
was to move the tape drive to another machine. I have not tried to contact DEC 
about solutions, so I am not sure that there is NO software fix, but I believe 
that we have found the best solution.

Thanks you for your time!

Marcos

-- 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Treat the earth well;                   |Marcos Montes        
it was not given to us by our parents:  |qozer at leland.stanford.edu
it was loaned to us by our children.    |marcos at mensch.stanford.edu
-Kenyan proverb                         |
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~