Subject: FITS Browser/Extractor For MS-DOS

From: daves at regulus.demon.co.uk ("David M. Swain")
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 1994 13:32:04 +0000

Greetings

I am in the unfortunate position of having to run MS-DOS on my workstation
but I need to be able to manipulate FITS files ( not always TABLES ). Does
anyone know of a comprehensive ( or otherwise ) FITS file manipulation 
package for MS-DOS. I already have, and use, the FITS Table Browser, but
this only works for TABLES ( surprise, surprise ). 

Many thanks in advance
David
-- 
David M. Swain                      |   "Anything I do is my choice           "
45 Pheasant Way                     |   "But any effects from the things that "
Cirencester, Glos, GL7 1BJ          |   "I do are nothing to do with me.      "
England, +44 (0)285-655951          |
Internet: daves at regulus.demon.co.uk |

---

From: gwc at csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Greg F Walz Chojnacki)
Date: 18 Jan 1994 15:42:24 GMT

Damn!

Thats oak.oakland.edu. Directory is pub/msdos/astrnomy.

Greg
-- 
Only about 1 out of 8 federal dollars of social spending serves to lift poor
families above the poverty line. Only about one out of four federal benefit
dollars even flows to a program that uses financial need as a criterion for
elegibility.

---

From: gwc at csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Greg F Walz Chojnacki)
Date: 18 Jan 1994 15:41:29 GMT

>From article <758899924snz at regulus.demon.co.uk>, by daves at regulus.demon.co.uk ("David M. Swain"):
> Greetings
> 

The only one I'm aware of is IMDISP, written by some guys at JPL and
Goddard. It must be available at several sites, but start at oak.okland.edu
inn the pub/msdos/astrnomy (note 1 o) directory.

If you learn of others, please post here.

Greg

---

From: gwc at csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Greg F Walz Chojnacki)
Date: 18 Jan 1994 16:13:01 GMT

> this only works for TABLES ( surprise, surprise ). 
Okay, since I screwed up 2X already, here are the results of an ARCHIE
search:

Host ftp.edvz.univie.ac.at

    Location: /pc/dos/graphics
           FILE -rw-r--r--     340909  May 31 1993  imdisp79.zip

Host freebsd.cdrom.com

    Location: /.2/simtel/msdos/graphics
           FILE -rw-r--r--     340909  May 31 1993  imdisp79.zip

Host ftp.wustl.edu

    Location: /systems/ibmpc/msdos/graphics
           FILE -r--r--r--     340909  May 30 1993  imdisp79.zip

Host ftp.technion.ac.il

    Location: /pub/unsupported/dos/simtel/graphics
           FILE -rwxr--r--     340909  Jun  1 00:00  imdisp79.zip

Host ftp.kuis.kyoto-u.ac.jp

    Location: /MSDOS/simtel20-archive/graphics
           FILE -rw-rw-r--     340909  May 31 1993  imdisp79.zip
    Location: /mirrors/simtel20.msdos/graphics
           FILE -rw-rw-r--     340909  May 31 1993  imdisp79.zip

Host ftp.iij.ad.jp

    Location: /.5/msdos/graphics
           FILE -r--r--r--     340909  May 30 1993  imdisp79.zip

Host cair.kaist.ac.kr

    Location: /systems/msdos/simtel/msdos/graphics
           FILE -r-xr-xr-x     336208  Jan 30 1993  imdisp79.zip

Host ftp.uu.net

    Location: /systems/ibmpc/msdos/simtel20/graphics
           FILE -rw-rw-r--     340909  May 31 1993  imdisp79.zip

Host ntu.ac.sg

    Location: /archive3/msdos/graphics
           FILE -r--r--r--     340909  May 31 1993  imdisp79.zip

---

From: dwells at fits.CV.NRAO.EDU (Don Wells)
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 1994 16:20:08 GMT

In article <758899924snz at regulus.demon.co.uk>
    daves at regulus.demon.co.uk ("David M. Swain") writes:
 DMS> I.. run MS-DOS on my workstation.. need.. to manipulate FITS
 DMS> files ( not always TABLES ). Does anyone know of a.. FITS file
 DMS> manipulation package for MS-DOS.. 

This is a frequently-asked-question. The FITS community needs to have
a comprehensive answer to this question, but I am not aware of one at
the moment. The best I can do is to refer MS-DOS users to the
collection of messages in the archive directory

    ftp://fits.cv.nrao.edu/fits/os-support/dos/

The current contents of this directory are:

  -r--r--r--  1 dwells       2242 May  5  1993 ftb30b.mail
  -r--r--r--  1 dwells       3480 Apr  2  1993 imagine-32.news
  -rw-r--r--  1 dwells       1327 Nov  5 15:08 imdis79g.news
  -r--r--r--  1 dwells       4211 Dec 31  1992 imdisp-fits.news
  -r--r--r--  1 dwells       7399 Oct 15  1992 imdisp77.news
  -r--r--r--  1 dwells     342084 Oct 15  1992 imdisp77.zip
  -r--r--r--  1 dwells     131107 Oct 15  1992 imdisp78.exe
  -r--r--r--  1 dwells       5968 Oct 15  1992 imdisp78.news
  -r--r--r--  1 dwells       2827 Apr 29  1993 imdisp78b.news
  -r--r--r--  1 dwells      19075 Mar  4  1993 imdisp79.news
  -r--r--r--  1 dwells       1267 Dec  2  1992 ipsys.news
  -r--r--r--  2 dwells       6300 Jul 28  1991 listfits.c
  -rw-r--r--  1 dwells       3800 Nov  9 17:38 mips.news
  -r--r--r--  1 dwells       1735 Dec  3  1992 mira.news
  -r--r--r--  1 dwells       7010 Apr 28  1993 pcvista.news
  -r--r--r--  1 dwells        959 Mar 10  1993 s-and-t.news
  -rw-r--r--  1 dwells       3766 Jul  6  1993 vfits012.news
  -rw-r--r--  1 dwells        825 Aug  4 15:26 viewfits.news

I welcome reports of additional FITS-support packages or programs for
DOS/OS-2/Windows/etc. 

I wish that one or more people would construct reviews of the various
software solutions, and would either post them to sci.astro.fits or
else send them to me.  I would like to add such reviews to the
collection in this directory, and adaptations of them should be added
to the FITS FAQ posting.
--

  Donald C. Wells         Associate Scientist         dwells at nrao.edu
                    http://fits.cv.nrao.edu/~dwells
  National Radio Astronomy Observatory                +1-804-296-0277
  520 Edgemont Road,   Charlottesville, Virginia       22903-2475 USA