Subject: Working Group on Astronomical Software meeting

From: hanisch at stsci.edu (Bob Hanisch, ST ScI)
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 1994 15:34:07 GMT

WGAS Activities at the Washington AAS Meeting
                          Saturday 15 January 1994
                ---------------------------------------------

                         Robert J. Hanisch, Chair
                             hanisch at stsci.edu

The Working Group on Astronomical Software will meet in Session 118 (Saturday
morning, 10:15) to hear several contributed papers and begin discussion of WGAS
business matters (FITS standard, electronic publishing, network information
services, etc.).  All members of the AAS are welcome to attend and participate
in the discussion.  The WGAS Business Meeting will continue over lunch should
additional time be needed..

The WGAS is also pleased to sponsor a special session on Networked Information
Resources (Session 124, Saturday afternoon, 2:15).  The invited talks in this
session are targetted at astronomers who want to know how to make better use of
the wealth of astronomical information and databases that are now available on
the Internet.  See below for more information.

       Special Session: Networked Information Resources for Astronomy
       --------------------------------------------------------------

In the last few years there has been a virtual explosion in the amount of
information available on the Internet, and astronomers are in a particularly
good position to benefit.  Astronomical catalogs, databases, and archives are
now widely available from a variety on on-line services, and electronic
information discovery and retrieval is becoming an extremely valuable resource
for doing astronomical research.  This session will feature invited talks that
highlight new developments, with a special emphasis on how these services
facilitate astronomical research.  The Working Group on Astronomical Software
is pleased to sponsor this presentation (Session 124, Saturday afternoon).

Detailed program for Session 124:

1.  "Network Information Resources for Astronomy,"  R. J. Hanisch (ST ScI).

2.  "The Astrophysics Data System -- A Flexible Science Tool,"
    G. Eichhorn, S. Murray (SAO), T. Snow (CASA), J. Good (IPAC).

3.  "Doing Research with the NASA Extragalactic Database (NED),"
    B. Madore, G. Helou (IPAC).

4.  "Doing Astronomy with the HST Data Archive,"  S. Baum, K. Long (ST ScI).

5.  "Distributed Astronomical Data Archives,"  J. Fullton (CNIDR).

6.  "Information Discovery and Retrieval,"  A. Warnock (Hughes-STX).

7.  "Electronic Publishing in Astronomy,"  H. Dalterio, P. Boyce (AAS).

---
Robert J. Hanisch                       Tel. (410)338-4910   Fax. (410)338-5090
Space Telescope Science Institute       NSI: hanisch at stsci.edu [130.167.1.2]
3700 San Martin Drive                   DECNet: STSCIC::HANISCH [6549::] 
Baltimore, MD  21218  USA               Bitnet: hanisch at stsci