Subject: FITS units standards

From: band at snail.hao.ucar.edu (Peter Bandurian)
Date: 28 Feb 1994 16:56:38 GMT

The NOST document 'A user's Guide for the Flexible Image Transport System
(FITS)', in section 3.1.1.4 Units, refers the reader to the IAU (1988) Style
Guide for for a list of array and keyword value units.  Is there an electronic
copy of that document available?  Thanks.

Peter Bandurian (band at hao.ucar.edu)

---

From: "Ian M George, Code 668, NASA/GSFC, USA (Usque ad mortem bibendum)" <GEORGE at heagip.gsfc.nasa.gov>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 1994 16:08:36 -0500 (EST)

> copy of that document available?  Thanks.

... whilst I do not know of an elec version of the IAU Style Guide, Peter 
and others may be interested/reminded of the OGIP Memo "Specification of
Physical Units within OGIP FITS files" (OGIP/93-001). This document follows 
the Style Guide very closely, and is available via anonymous ftp on 
legacy.gsfc.nasa.gov as 
	caldb/docs/memos/ogip_93_001.tex	(LaTeX source)
	caldb/docs/memos/ogip_93_001.ps		(PS, 320974 bytes)

The PS document is also accessible on the WWW via the URL
http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/0/docs/heasarc/ofwg/ofwg_recomm.html

Ian M George
HEASARC