Subject: Getting saoimage to work well with NCD PC-Xware.

From: stefan at helios.physics.utoronto.ca (Stefan Mochnacki)
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 1994 01:46:11 GMT

I have a rather desperate thesis student who is using NCD's
PC-Xware 1.02 under Windows 3.1 on his high-end 486 system.
He has no trouble getting "xv" to remotely display 8 bit colour
(the server is a SPARCstation 10), but "saoimage" refuses to
give anything better than 1-bit dithering on his FITS images.

Is there a known bug plus fix for "saoimage"? Is there a
magic incantation? Please let me know by e-mail, and
I will summarize upon hitting success.

-- 
Stefan W. Mochnacki       INTERNET - stefan at centaur.astro.utoronto.ca
Astronomy, U. of Toronto  UUCP - {uunet,pyramid}!utai!helios.physics!stefan
Ph. (905) 884-9562        LOCATION - David Dunlap Observatory 
FAX (905) 884-2672	  Ph. (Mon,Wed) (416)-978-4165 (St.George Campus)

---

From: fitz at noao.edu (Mike Fitzpatrick)
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 1994 04:23:35 GMT

>From article <CLwvKz.JsM at helios.physics.utoronto.ca>, by stefan at helios.physics.utoronto.ca (Stefan Mochnacki):
Status: O
X-VM-v5-Data: ([nil t nil nil nil nil nil nil nil]
	["786" "" "" "" "" "" "ut" "article" "article" nil "14" "" nil nil nil "" nil nil (number " " mark "U    article                    14/786   " thread-indent "\"\"\n") nil]
	nil)
> I will summarize upon hitting success.

	SAOimage comes up with a halftone display if the Default Visual for
the server is StaticColor, DirectColor, TrueColor, GrayScale or StaticGray
(most of the time).  Use 'xdpyinfo' to check what the default visual is,
you may be able to change this with some incantation to the PC-Xware (I
can't say for sure since we don't have the hardware here I could experiment
with).  Is XV actually offering up 256 colors or just more than SAOimage?
	The IRAF Group at NOAO is currently supporting SAOimage although
development of this task has been frozen for a while.  If you still have
questions feel free to write to iraf at noao.edu, we may not be able to dup-
licate the problem but we're always happy to answer any questions as best
we can.  Hope this helps.

Mike Fitzpatrick
NOAO/IRAF Group