Subject: Q: How do I get fits software to work?

From: jkondis at orion.oac.uci.edu (John Kondis)
Date: 28 Feb 94 00:47:17 GMT

Hi fits people...

     I am trying to get software that will allow me to view fits files on 
a Sun through X-windows.  So far I have tried the following:

1)--  I downloaded the software called bds-fits v.2.1 (I think) and 
compiled it.  When I run it, however there doesn't seem to be a way to 
display a file on the terminal screen, however.  There doesn't seem to be 
any way to even specify the file name to the software.  I tried looking 
at the source code, but I couldn't figure it out.  The only thing it 
allows me to do is manipulate the colors...  Am I missing something?  How 
do I get it to display an image from a fits file?

2)--  I also got the software called "FITSIO", but I couldn't compile 
it.  I read about requiring the compiler not to check ranges, but I 
couldn't figure out how to do that.  Most of the program seems to 
compile, but then it finds an unknown variable ('dl' I think) and then 
fails.

     Can anyone help me?  I wouldn't mind using any software at all that 
can help me see these files...

Thanks in advance...
...John
jkondis at orion.oac.uci.edu

---

From: stefan at helios.physics.utoronto.ca (Stefan Mochnacki)
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 1994 01:36:14 GMT

In article <jkondis.762396437 at orion.oac.uci.edu>,
John Kondis <jkondis at orion.oac.uci.edu> wrote:
>compiled it.  [ munch ]
>it.  [ ... crunch ... ]

I would recommend that you get the package "saoimage", which is the
X-window replacement for "imtool" in IRAF. Try anonymous ftp
from tucana.noao.edu. It works well locally or over the network.

-- 
Stefan W. Mochnacki       INTERNET - stefan at centaur.astro.utoronto.ca
Astronomy, U. of Toronto  UUCP - {uunet,pyramid}!utai!helios.physics!stefan
Ph. (905) 884-9562        LOCATION - David Dunlap Observatory 
FAX (905) 884-2672	  Ph. (Mon,Wed) (416)-978-4165 (St.George Campus)

---

From: jkondis at orion.oac.uci.edu (John Kondis)
Date: 28 Feb 94 11:35:01 GMT

>>can help me see these files...

This guy is obviously desperate!   8-)

>FAX (905) 884-2672	  Ph. (Mon,Wed) (416)-978-4165 (St.George Campus)

In case anyone is following this for their own interests, the files 
'saoimage' are in /contrib of the abovementioned ftp site...

...John