Subject: FITS viewer for MS Windows

From: bcotton at gorilla.CV.NRAO.EDU (Bill Cotton)
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 94 11:41:13 EDT

FITSview for MS Windows
			   October 20, 1994

   This is to announce the availability of a beta release of FITSview
for MS Windows.  This is a FITS image viewer for Windows which
features manipulation of the display (brightness, contrast, pseudo
color), zoom and scroll, blinking images for comparison, displaying
3-D images as a "movie", and determining the celestial position and
brightness of features in the image.  Celestial positions are
determined using world coordinate projections (WCS).  All defined FITS
data types are supported (8, 16, 32 bit integers and 32 and 64 bit
IEEE), as are blanked pixels.  Two and three dimensional simple FITS
images are supported.

   FITSview runs on Windows 3.1 or later and uses any multicolor (or
multiple gray level) display although 256 color displays give the best
results.  Extensive online documentation is included. 

   FITSview for Windows is available at no cost via anonymous ftp as
the two files:

    ftp://fits.cv.nrao.edu/fits/os-support/ms-windows/fitsv03.txt
    ftp://fits.cv.nrao.edu/fits/os-support/ms-windows/fitsv03.zip

Installation is described in file fitsv03.txt.

Implementations under X-windows and MacIntosh are under consideration.

bcotton at nrao.edu