Subject: pbm+ like FITS package?

From: ralph at astro.lu.se (Ralph Snel)
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 1994 17:45:44 GMT

I was wondering if any software like the pbm+ package existed for FITS
format. I am not realy interested in the transformation to other formats,
but would like to have a package that can perform arithmatic on images,
fits format in, fits format out, capable of dealing with the more exotic
formats as well.

Ralph Snel
ralph at astro.lu.se

---

From: kurtz at cfa244.harvard.edu (Mike Kurtz)
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 1994 18:16:07 GMT

Ralph Snel (ralph at astro.lu.se) wrote:
: I was wondering if any software like the pbm+ package existed for FITS
: format. I am not realy interested in the transformation to other formats,
: but would like to have a package that can perform arithmatic on images,
: fits format in, fits format out, capable of dealing with the more exotic
: formats as well.

Why not just use pbmplus?  pnmtofits and fitstopnm exist for vanilla
FITS images.  Eg.:

< imagefile.fits fitstopnm | pnmsmooth | pnmtofits > smoothimagefile.fits

Of course AIPS, IRAF, MIDAS, IDL, ... all can read FITS files, perform
complex image operations then write a FITS file as output.

Michael Kurtz