Subject: Alignment of X-ray and optical images.

From: iony at leland.Stanford.EDU (Ion-Alexis George Yadigaroglu)
Date: 15 Nov 1994 08:47:36 -0600

I want to align an X-ray image that is 40 arcminutes square with
a deep optical image that is much smaller, about 5 arcminutes.

I have a digital survey plate that is much larger than both.

I can find common stars in the survey plate with both the X-ray
and deep optical image, and find their positions accurately.
In theory this means that I can now align the X-ray and deep
optical images.

The question: how do I do this in practice using IRAF/NOAO/PROS/STSDAS.
I would like the end result to be X-ray contours on top of the deep
optical image.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ion

---

From: philf at hst.hst.mh.att.com (Phil Fischer)
Date: 18 Nov 1994 10:20:56 -0600

In article <3aahm8$nr at pecos.msfc.nasa.gov>,
>I would like the end result to be X-ray contours on top of the deep

IRAF images can be rotated, stretched, etc using the IRAF tasks GEOMAP and
GEOTRAN. The input is the matched star list.

Phil